New at this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lovenwine1232

Reaction score
i enjoy drinking homemade wine. I’m usually getting it from friends but would like to make my own. Hoping for some help on getting started. What all equipment do I need for this?

I'm not an expert, but you'll need sugar, a hydrometer to measure sugar levels in the wine, a hydrometer test jar (a class that holds the wine while you use the hydrometer), a pot or bucket for the initial fermentation, a towel to place over the pot/bucket, campden tablets, yeast, pectic enzyme, and a gallon wine jug for racking -- get two jugs. Depending on what you're doing, you can get a kit for testing acid, and chemicals to balance the acid along with other finishing chemicals. Want to spend more? Get a pH meter. I'm sure I've left out some things, but this will get you started. You'll also need chemicals to inhibit fermentation before back sweetening your wine before bottling, when you'll need bottles, corks, and a device to cork the bottles. I use an inexpensive hand corker. This year, I'll cork 20 bottles.

Latest posts

Back