New Apple Cider is Starting!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donttread

Reaction score
Hello all,

My local Home Brew store just received a delivery of apple cider from a local orchard. I just purchased 5 gallons of the following blend:

25% Granny Smith
15% Empire
15% Sun Crisp
15% Fuji
15% Braeburn
15% Others: Keepsake, Pink Lady, Gold Rush, Enterprise

Here is my recipe:

5 Gallons of Apple CIder
2 lbs. of Detrose
1 Packet of Red Star Montrachet Yeast

My starting readings were as follows:

Plain Apple Cider:
Pot. Alcohol = 8%

After 2 lbs. of dextrose:
Pot. Alcohol = 9.5%

I am planning on leaving it in the glass carboy for the entire process-fermentation and settling. How long should I let it sit?

1798776_10152234690421153_1620355193_n.jpg

-Fred

The cider that I just started is the spiced winter cider that bleme posted in the recipe section. According to that recipe it is 3 weeks. That might be a good starting point, then start checking your gravity readings. I used us-04 yeast so I'm not sure if the yeast you used will need a shorter or longer time period. Once it's bottled it just gets better with age. But I hope this helps. I saw that no one had responded so I thought I would offer my 2 cents. Good luck and cheers.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

If you are concerned about clarity...from what I have read it can take quite sometime for the real cider to clear up....but it will!

I would consider getting a secondary, just because leaving cider on Lees too long hurts the finished flavor. If you take it off too early it hasn't quite had the time to age. Regardless, I appreciate you sharing the photos.

Back