Neverending hot break?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freudhawk

Reaction score
I normally brew all-grain batches so it's been a while since I had done an extract batch. Yesterday, I brewed up a batch of Jamil's Traditional Bock (OG=1.067) and the thing just kept wanting to jump out of the pot. Several times it actually did after minutes of zero bubbles/foam at all. I don't know what to make of it. Is this a common experience when doing a full boil extract batch with a large OG?

FWIW, I was using all LME (about 11 pounds) with 1.5 pounds of steeping grains.

HELP!

i had this same issue with one of Jamil's recipes. i chocked it up to having the heat up to high.

It could be that, but I've never had that problem with other batches before. Is this something unique to extract brewing?

What volume was your boil?

I havnt ever used more than 9.6 # extract (LME/DME combined) so it could be the large amount of extract in your recipe. On that batch I did have numerous hot breaks that took a long time to recede

What volume was your boil?

I havnt ever used more than 9.6 # extract (LME/DME combined) so it could be the large amount of extract in your recipe. On that batch I did have numerous hot breaks that took a long time to recede

I had 7.25 gallons of wort going.

Is this something unique to extract brewing?

no i've only made extract with specialty grain brews so far and its just the one that had the "never ending hot break". if i remember it was the only time i used DME. but i don't remember exactly which back it was.

Also, if you've got an oscillating fan, set it on high and point it right at the hot break. Give it a few squirts of water with a spray bottle and it should help.

Back