never used Amarillo-how does this look for an IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelican521

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm getting ready to brew an IPA this weekend :rockin: and wanted to see if I could get some feedback on my recipe. I'm using Amarillo for the first time and hear great things about it. My last IPA was done with some Citra (among other hops) and the Citra was a bit too much for my liking. I'm not sure if Amarillo can get too tropical like the Citra can so I thought I'd see what people think. Here's the my partial mash recipe that's loosely inspired from Vegan's Heady clone...(sorry no Conan yeast - so I'm using Wyeast 1056 - ferm temp 63º, no secondary. OG 1.070->FG 1.015 (Per Beersmith, but I usually get down to 1.012 on my IPAs

4 lb 2-row
1 lb Munich
8 oz torrified wheat
4 oz crystal 20
1 oz acid malt
4 lb extra light DME @ 10 min
8 oz corn sugar @ 10 min

1 oz magnum 60 min

1 oz simcoe 5 min
.5 oz columbus 5 min
.5 oz centennial 5 min

2 oz simcoe whirlpool for 20min @180º
1 oz columbus whirlpool for 20min @180º
1 oz Amarillo whirlpool for 20min @180º
.5 oz centennial whirlpool for 20min @180º

1 oz simcoe dryhop
1 oz amarillo dryhop
1 oz columbus dryhop

looking to do a 2-stage dryhop, half in primary and the other half in the keg, each for 5 days at room temp.

Let me know what you think of the recipe?

thanks in advance!

Wow, there is a lot going on here. My take is that simcoe, in my opinion of commercial beers that use it, dominates quite a bit. You're using it more for aroma, which I think is good. I may knock that down to 1 ounce at 20 m whirl pooling though. Amarillo carries a low AA rating, or at least lower than most of those. I just did a SMaSH with it and I wished I had added 2 more ounces overall to the boil and dry hopping.

My guess is together, they would make for a nice IPA. I've never looked at the Heady clone recipe here, is that where you get the acid malt? I've never used that in any IPA. And curious, why the corn sugar?

I think if you dry hop in primary, you're just going to shoot all the aroma out the airlock.

If you dry hop in primary during fermentation that is. I dry hop in primary after 2-3 weeks have gone by and fermentation has ceased. I've had good results this way. I just started dry hopping in primary for 5 days, then adding another dry hop addition right when I transfer the carboy for cold crashing (another 2-3 days).

Here is an interesting article that Hopsteiner put out that seems to indicate dry hopping for longer than a couple days or so may not provide much more benefit:
Hopsteiner Dry Hopping Study

As far as the recipe, I would think about lowering the wheat/crystal or eliminating altogether since you are adding extract. If you want to get more of a feel for Amarillo, I would reduce the diversity of the hops to just one supporting hop. With 4 varietals and a strong Simcoe presence, the Amarillo may be a bit masked. Maybe bump up the Amarillo and reduce others to supporting roles?

I use Amarillo frequently in my IPA.. though im not one of those guys who has to be rolling around in pure hop oils for it to be enjoyable.. which is why you dont see any dry hopping and a bit more malt character..

I prefer all my Amarillo either at the end or less than 15 minutes.. and I think it goes well with cascade.. After the beer conditions a few weeks is when it is best.

Title: Babyface IPA

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 6 gallons (ending kettle volume)
Boil Size: 7.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.056
Efficiency: 70% (ending kettle)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.070
Final Gravity: 1.017
ABV (standard): 6.88%
IBU (rager): 58.75
SRM (morey): 7.95

FERMENTABLES:
13.5 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (83.1%)
1 lb - American - Wheat (6.2%)
0.75 lb - German - Munich Dark (4.6%)
0.75 lb - American - Victory (4.6%)
0.25 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 40L (1.5%)

HOPS:
0.75 oz - Magnum, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.7, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 41.2
1 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 10.1, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 10.07
1 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 10.1, Use: Boil for 0 min
1 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7.5, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 7.48
1 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7.5, Use: Boil for 0 min

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 149 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 8.2 gal

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
0.5 each - Whirlfloc, Time: 15 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05

It looks kinda busy to me. I would go with Simcoe or Amarillo and if you picked Simcoe, I don't know if you need the Centennial! I find beers with just Simcoe to be very good but Centennial is my favorite hop. Amarillo got very popular for a while. I know I used it a few times but I can't recall how if felt about it. It couldn't have been bad, that's for sure!

Great suggestions guys, especially getting rid of the crystal since there's crystal in my DME, correct?

as for the dryhopping in the primary, I'm going to add it between 5-7 days when fermentation has come to a crawl.

Also, I think I'll kill both centennial additions and add 1 oz of Amarillo to the 5 min and maybe bring the simcoe whirlpool down to 1 oz.

how would that look, any other ideas?

Looks great, but personally, I'd go with just Simcoe & Amarillo for the late hops. Would probably replace the corn sugar with malt, also.

Great suggestions guys, especially getting rid of the crystal since there's crystal in my DME, correct?

Depends on the DME. I think Briess golden light DME is 99% 2-row and 1% carapils. However, extract is typically less fermentable and will provide some residual maltiness. If you had no extract, I would keep the crystal.

There's not typically crystal malt in light DME, unless you are talking about a touch of carapils as mentioned. I'm plus/minus on the crystal, there's not that much so I think it's fine if you like it. IMO it's also fine to replace a little of the DME with sugar if you want to make sure it attenuates well. I assume the acid malt is just for pH correction.

I love centennial/simcoe and amarillo/simcoe beers, and have done a few will all 3. Columbus will add a bit of dankness in the late additions.

Pretty much what everyone else said, except I'd add all the dme at flameout... unless you're looking to caramelize it a bit. Then never mind. Lol!

Your corn sugar isn't really enough to make much of a difference too. If you want to give it a little boost, add a pound of honey after the krausen has settled down in the fermenter. If you add it sooner, the yeast will get lazy and won't finish up like you want them to. The honey will ferment out really clean.

I hear wonderful things about Simcoe, and most of my friends love it, but alas... my taste buds aren't kind to me. It tastes like cat piss to me. All commercial and homebrews. :(

yes, the touch of acid malt is for ph correction. Maybe I'll move the DME addition up to 5 mins to reduce cartelizing even more. I'm looking for some dankness so I thought the Columbus would be good.

I think maybe I'll simplify my hop bill by doing .5 oz of each three @10 and 1oz of each @ 180 whirlpool as well as the oz of magnum@60.

I could also add the same .5 oz additions at 0 for a little kick. Maybe just the Amarillo and simcoe and skip the Columbus?

I always drive myself nuts tweaking my recipe right up to brew day...with everyone's advice I am going to simplify my hop bill a bit to this:

1 oz magnum 60 min
1 oz simcoe 5 min
.5 oz Columbus 5 min
1 oz simcoe 0 min
.5 oz Columbus 0 min
1 oz simcoe 20 min whirlpool @180
1 oz Amarillo 20 min whirlpool @180
1 oz Columbus 20 min whirlpool @180
1 oz simcoe dryhop
1 oz Amarillo dryhop
1 oz Columbus dryhop

How does this look, any other suggestions? Perhaps another oz for dry hop so I could do two 2-oz additions? I have extra centennial, simcoe, Amarillo, and Columbus.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back