Nelson sauvin hops schedule?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wasn't sure how much should be put in, for bittering, flavoring, aroma, I also have an oz of willamette and cascade if I need to do something different.

The classic lager hop scheduled is 2/5 bittering, 2/5 flavor and 1/5 for aroma. It might not work so well with today's high alpha hops.

With what you have (and having no clue about the recipe) I'd say 1oz Cascade at 60, 1 oz Nelson Sauvin at 15, and .5oz Willamette at 1.

The recipe is pretty simple 1 lb flaked maize, 8oz rice sugar, 3 lbs extra light dme (briess). So there's really not a lot going on. I was trying to just use the NS hops, but wasn't sure if it was feasible. I guess I was more questioning about the bittering side of things.

chrismcdaniel3128 said:
The recipe is pretty simple 1 lb flaked maize, 8oz rice sugar, 3 lbs extra light dme (briess). So there's really not a lot going on. I was trying to just use the NS hops, but wasn't sure if it was feasible. I guess I was more questioning about the bittering side of things.

I've never used them in a lager, but they are wonderfully potent in aroma/flavor. Perhaps bitter with something else.

ended up doing a .25 at 60. .25 at 15. and .5 at 5. It's in the freezer fermenting away, i'll give a heads up in about a month and a half i guess. That's if my kegs come in:(, if not i guess it will lager longer.

I am also looking for Nelson. As with anything with brewing I am told to be patient. It should be around the corner.( months not seconds.. )

I just had an IPA brew from the Elysian (Seattle brewery) that has NS. I thought it was very good. Definitely had grapefruit aroma and flavor.

Their description:
"IDIOT SAUVIN
You're not as smart as you think you are. An IPA showcasing the distinct citrus and passion fruit character of Nelson Sauvin hops."

I am from NZ - I currently have a kit beer in the fermented that I boiled some DME and some Sauvin and Saaz hops to try to get more of an IPA. After the initial fermentation i dry hopped with some more... the smell when i took the lid off was AMAZING... lots of grapefruit but also some passion fruit - really quite tropical...

Latest posts

Back