Nelson/Motueka Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trav77

Reaction score
Looking for someone with some experience brewing NZ pale ales here...

I'm thinking a relatively pale/blonde grist. MO and a bit of light munich. Maybe a touch of honey malt.

30 IBUish, 1.045-1.050ish. Probably re-pitch some Imperial Juicy although I'm not really going for an NEIPA type thing, just trying to use a yeast with a bit of character.

Anyhow my question is mostly on the hops. I'll bitter with Magnum. Suggestions for late hopping on this with Nelson and Motueka? 1:1 or should I go lower on the Nelson so the Motueka doesn't get overtaken? Couple ounces late and couple ounces dry hop?

Thanks!

Be careful with the Nelson. Depending on the lot it can be really diesel/machine oil heavy. I find that if you use it for Dry Hopping after fermentation is over the diesel notes stick around but if you add it while fermentation is winding down those aspects tend to get blown off and Nelson really shines. One of my constant faves is a Pale I make with Kohatu, Nelson, and Motueka. I’ll have to dig out my notes.

Latest posts

Back