NEIPA w/ 1318 pitched yesterday; I'm leaving for 3 weeks; dry hop schedule?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micha

Reaction score
Hi there folks;

I'm making an NEIPA right now, but on a very tight schedule. I brewed it yesterday (Thursday) and pitched a swollen pack of 1318 at 10pm (beer at 66°F). Now I have to leave for three weeks tomorrow (Saturday) at 6am.

My plan was to directly dry hop before leaving; heart of the fermentation, biotransformation, yaddi yaddi. I also thought; well, let's not have a soup of hops for too long, so I was planning to set it to 55°F.

What are your educated thoughts on that schedule? Is it too risky to leave the dry hop for 3 weeks in there? Would 1318 misbehave at 55°F? Would you just RDWHAHB?

Thanks!

I'd put half of your dry hops in now. If bottling, put the other half in when you come back and bottle 2 days later. If kegging, keg hop w the rest. 3 weeks at 60 to 65 will be fine.

Ah I see; half for the biotransformation mantra, and the other half for freshness. Given the relatively smaller amount of dry hop for 3 weeks, the extraction of grassy notes will be kept to a minimum. Brilliant idea, Bamsdealer; I will probably go for that. Thanks very much.

Back