Needing refrigeration advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrazza

Reaction score
Looking to build a refrigeration system to cool 35 gallon tank of glycol. Tank is 28" diameter and roughly 12" high, 304 stainless, insulated rock wool, with slanted bottom. So, I want to build something really nice, and I am wondering about salvaging an old refrigerator or freezer or if one could just buy refrigerator parts to build such a cooler. I'll be running a coil throgh the side wall using bulkhead fittings, and I can wire up a pid to run the refrigeration, it's just I am HVAC stupid and am looking for some top notch help.
Thanks

Looking to build a refrigeration system to cool 35 gallon tank of glycol. Tank is 28" diameter and roughly 12" high, 304 stainless, insulated rock wool, with slanted bottom. So, I want to build something really nice, and I am wondering about salvaging an old refrigerator or freezer or if one could just buy refrigerator parts to build such a cooler. I'll be running a coil throgh the side wall using bulkhead fittings, and I can wire up a pid to run the refrigeration, it's just I am HVAC stupid and am looking for some top notch help.
Thanks

Damn that's a lot of glycol!

Ok, so you want to rip apart a fridge so you can chill a pot of glycol? Why not just put the glycol/pot in the fridge and run lines out?

Optimal, "Ok, so you want to rip apart a fridge so you can chill a pot of glycol? Why not just put the glycol/pot in the fridge and run lines out?"

well the tank is a combi-tank. Above the glycol tank is actually a hot liquor tank, and above that is a gi-normous mash tun.

Makes a little more sense now. I saw a video on youtube of a guy who used a 6k BTU air conditioner. its coils routed into a cooler, with a temp control. He was pumping the glycol like ~60' with only a 4 degree drop. Was ugly as sin but that can be worked on. I'll look for the link for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
dsc072417vc.jpg

dsc070226qs.jpg

dsc070271lf.jpg

Any overclockers out there??? I found this build here.http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=90982

This is more along the lines of what I'm interested in doing. Anyone savvy enough to know where to come up with compatible refrigerant components to do this?

Basic Refrigeration Understanding

Here are some handy dandy thermal conversions pertaining to refrigeration and heating...
1 horsepower = 745.699872 watts (power, energy/time)

1 watt = 3.41214163 BTUs per hour (heat transfer)

1 ton of ice = 12,000 BTUs per hour (heat transfer)

1 ton of ice = 3517 watts (heat transfer)

And it appears that brazing copper to stainless will be necessary. I wonder what skills that takes.

Back