Need Winter Lager Additive Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacketsfans

Reaction score
HBT Gods:

I'm brewing the recipe below for an approximate clone of SA Winter Lager, which my Dad really digs, likely using Safale 05. My question is this: When do I add the cinnamon, orange peel, and ginger called for in the recipe. This is from a pretty old thread in the recipe section. Tried getting a response there but I think age or disinterest kept people away. Any help is appreciated!!

5 Gallons
OG - 1.069
FG - 1.016
IBU - 29
SRM - 19
ABV - 6.9%

2.75 lbs. light dried malt extract
4.0 lbs. Light liquid malt extract (late addition)
1.0 lb. wheat malt
1.5 lbs. munich malt
1.5 lbs. crystal malt 60L
1.0 oz. Curacao Orange Peel (bitter orange peel)
0.5 oz. ginger root (freshly grated)
0.5 tsp. Cinnamon (powdered)
9.5 AAU East Kent Golding hops (60 mni)
4AAU Tettnanger hops (2 min)
4AAU Hallertau Hersbrucker hops
White Labs WLP830 (German Lager)

Good lord, people. If I'd asked about whether or not to secondary, I'd have 40 replies by now! Interesting....wrong category to ask this question, or what?

It won't be a lager using an ale yeast.

And +1 on the last 5 minutes for spice additions.

For what it's worth, I just brewed a Winter Ale and it called for spices in the last 15 minutes of the boil. I checked through some recipes in The Complete Joy of Homebrewing and most have the same guideline.

It won't be a lager using an ale yeast.

And +1 on the last 5 minutes for spice additions.
You're right, of course. We're wanting to brew something with roughly the same malt/hop profile. Lagering was not a must-have, however, so that's no big deal.

Thanks, everyone, for your replies. I'll likely go with the last five minutes. :mug:

I brewed up an all grain version of this recipe last fall. I also used Nottingham and fermented at 60F. I used cinnamon sticks, bitter orange peel and fresh ginger that I cut into tiny slivers and added them with 5 minutes left in the boil. The ginger was way too overpowering for months. Next time I'm going to brew this earlier in the year, cut back on the ginger (Maybe toast it first. I've heard people have good luck with that), and use fresh orange peel instead of the store bought dried stuff.

I still have a 6pack left but I haven't had one in a while but people who have said it tastes really good. That's fine and dandy but I didn't expect to wait 6 months for it to finally mellow.

Back