Need to use a lot of Saaz and Styrian Goldings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phenry

Reaction score
As the title explains, I have a lot of Czech Saaz and Styrian Goldings that I want to use up before I head off to grad school. I'm not worried if they'll be fine in the freezer for another year, I just want them transmogrified into liquid storage. I'm going through my other American hops with tons of IPAs, but I'm kind of at a loss as to how to really blow through these two varieties since most of what I use them for are Belgians, and that's not exactly the quickest way considering I'm usually using 2 oz max per recipe.

So does anyone have recipe suggestions? I've got about a half pound of each.

Ditto on the pils. I've done a Belgian Golden Strong, with Styrian early and Saaz late.

Maybe Styrian would work in a bitter? It's the same hops as Fuggles, grown in a different place.

Maybe try an 'India Pale Lager' with both? I would think 50 ibu would be pushing it before you get too much veggie flavor.

I use them a lot in any of the Belgians, dubbels, tripels and BDSA's. They also work in Saisons.

Scottish IPA

mix of English+ continental Pale ale malt
1.055 - 1.014
50 IBUs

Flavour and dry hop with saaz

Same again for a stronger version

1.077 - 1.022

100 IBUs, at least half from flavour to flameout additions of saaz and a dryhop

Double Brown Stout
1.062-1.014

84% pale
10% amber
6% black patent

95 IBUs

Half of the IBUs coming from flavouring to flameout additions of styrian godings and saaz.

You could do a dry-hopped Belgian pale, e.g. along the lines of Ommegang's version (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/42/56875), which would use up more of the hops than your typical dubbel or golden strong or whatever. I'd stick largely to Saaz for aroma and Styrian Goldings for bittering and flavor. You could easily burn through 8 oz in a 5-gallon batch that way.

Check out the Let's Brew Younger's recipes on barclayperkins.blogspot.com. Very saaz-heavy, although styrians would work equally well for the bittering additions.

Alright, Bohemian Pils and plenty of Saisons seem to be the general consensus. Works pretty well with what other ingredients I'm trying to get rid of, thanks for all the suggestions.

Back