Need some ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KayaBrew

Reaction score
I'm cutting the slits in my copper manifold tubing (1/2" copper pipe) with a hacksaw, and I'm wondering how to smooth out the inside of the pipe from all the burrs created when sawing. Is anyone this anal, or is it just me?

I would say you could probably use plumbers emery cloth to do this.

Use a deburring tool. They are sold in the plumbing section. if you don't want to make an extra trip to the store, you could carefully use an undersized drill.

Another option is take a dowel rod slightly smaller that the ID of the tubing, and just ugh... just... well take the dowel and put it in the tube.. and ugh just move it in and out a bunch of times. :cross:

:rockin:

Or wrap an even more undersized dowel in emory cloth and use that to grind down the burrs from inside.

What I ended up doing was to take a chainsaw file to the inside walls of the 1/2" ID copper. A saw chain file is round and of small diameter (mine is 3/16"). It cleaned the pipes out perfectly. Then I put each section into my bench vise and wire-brushed the hell out of it. The result is a nice, shiny, smooth and burr-free manifold.

Back