Need some guidance with service panel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hio3791

Reaction score
My house service panel is a GE PowerMark Silver 150 Amp Load Center with 32 spaces of which 1, 2, and 3 are open. I'd like to install a 30 amp 2 pole GFCI breaker to power my (future) electric brewery.

From the panel specs, I should be able to install a GE THQL breaker on spaces 1 and 3. I was under the impression that GFCI breakers are expensive but HD has the GE THQL 30 AMP 2 pole GFCI breaker for $69.

Am I understanding this right? Why are these breakers so much cheaper than I had anticipated? Are there any concerns/issues using these types of breakers?

Also, the panel is in the garage, where I currently brew and plan to go electric. Is there any code that specifies minimum distance from service panel to a 240V outlet? The service lines come into the panel from the bottom and all the lines coming out of the panel go out from the top of the panel. To be consistent, I am thinking of running my new line out of the top of the panel and since I have an accesible attic in the garage, it would be easy to run it up into the attic and from there, drop it down where I would like to install the outlet. Of course, the closer to the panel, the less 10/4 line I would need and thus less costly. Any thoughts/recommendations?

Thanks!

The price of the GFCI breakers have come down over the years and it being a GE is another reason. No code for distance run but when excessive distances are run you need to watch for voltage drop. No problem with your distance and voltage drop.

I just installed my 30 amp GFCI breaker for my upcoming electric brewery as well! I've done plenty of panel wiring over the past 15 years, and I've got my degree in electrical engineering. There is no issue with having your new plug chose to the panel. As a matter of fact, some electricians even install a 15 amp outlet right on the side of the panel. Just be sure no water could get near the panel itself. Also, I'd try to continue running the wires out the top for consistency.

As far as cost, I've discovered that it all depends on the brand of panel. My GFCI was normally $109, but I found one on Ebay for $69...

I just installed my 30 amp GFCI breaker for my upcoming electric brewery as well! I've done plenty of panel wiring over the past 15 years, and I've got my degree in electrical engineering. There is no issue with having your new plug chose to the panel. As a matter of fact, some electricians even install a 15 amp outlet right on the side of the panel. Just be sure no water could get near the panel itself. Also, I'd try to continue running the wires out the top for consistency.

As far as cost, I've discovered that it all depends on the brand of panel. My GFCI was normally $109, but I found one on Ebay for $69...

It pays to shop around for breakers. I had similar experience...50 AMP GE GFCI breaker on Ebay, also for $69.

If it were me, and I wanted a receptacle near the panel, I would just nipple out the side or bottom into the new box.

Locating near the panel assumes you can keep the area dry.

Thanks guys. I should have been more clear and mentioned that the panel is inside the garage, which is your typical 2-car attached garage (with garage door). The area is always dry.

Thanks guys. I should have been more clear and mentioned that the panel is inside the garage, which is your typical 2-car attached garage (with garage door). The area is always dry.

I think the central point is, will the area still be dry after your brewing gear is up and running?

You should try to locate wash down areas away from your electrical gear and service.

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, my plan is to run a 10 ft cord from the outlet to the control box and I'll have another 10 ft cord from the control box to the element so my brewing gear will be at least that far from the service panel/outlet. The side of the garage, where the service is, is mainly used for storage so I can't brew near that area and if I were to get the area wet, besides being electrocuted, I would be answering to my wife... not sure which would be worse! :)

Latest posts

Back