Need some burner advice for me brew stand build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IwanaBrich

Reaction score
I've decided to build a three tier brew stand using some scrap bed frame steel that I just got a hold of. It won't be pretty since it will be made mostly from angle iron, but it should function okay.

I was planning to build a three tier system, with the hot liquor tank on top, cooler style mash tun on the second tier and my boil kettle on the bottom. I already own a Bayou classic BG10 burner with a small stand that I'm planning to use as the bottom tier. I'd like to add a burner under the first or top tier, but I'm not sure which burner I should go with. I was considering a using a high pressure Banjo burner like the BG14.

Is the BG14 a good choice? Is there something better or should I just stick with the BG10 style?

I'm also not exactly sure how far below the bottom of the pot surface I should mount the burner.

Lastly, where is best place to buy the burner parts?

Your help is appreciated!

Thanks

Bob

If you buy a BG-14 you'll likely end up wanting to replace that BG-10 just for the quiet ;)

My two burners are BG-14's and they are simply great at the task. The broad yet even flame pattern is about the best you can do wrt avoiding scorching, especially on larger kettles (but even with a keggle), and they really are very quiet. They are set 2-3/4" below the flat kettle bottoms.

I would recommend you consider putting your BG-10 under your HLT on the top tier and use a BG-14 for your BK on the bottom.

As for price, Amazon Prime lists a BG-14 at $41 delivered Saturday :D

There used to be a store, "Agriculture Supply" or something like that, that used to have the best price for BG-14 burners, but for the life of me I can't find that site now...

Cheers!

[edit] Found it. http://www.agrisupply.com/cast-iron-burner/p/64494/
But it's no longer a great deal. With shipping to Long Island (well, Queens ;)) it's $50...

Back