Need some advice on a recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rinkor16

Reaction score
Hello. I'm new to the site. I've always lurked around and I'm active on BeerAdvocate. I asked this same question there, but have received little response. I'm seeking some advice on my recipe for a pumpkin ale.

Fermentable:

8 lbs Plain Amber DME (60 min. boil)
8 oz Caramel Malt 40L (Steeped for 30 min.)
8 oz Caramel Malt 60L (Steeped for 30 min.)
4 oz Chocolate Malt (Steeped for 30 min.)

Hops:

2 oz Golding (60 min. boil)
1 oz Golding (15 min. boil)

Yeast:

American Ale Yeast

Other Ingredients:

2 tsp Nutmeg (Ground, last 5 minutes of boil)
1.5 tsp Cinnamon (Ground, last 5 minutes of boil)
1 tsp Allspice (Ground, last 5 minutes of boil)
.5 tsp Irish Moss (Last 10 minutes of boil)
6 lb Pumpkin (Prebaked in the oven)

Most of this was shooting from the hip and looking at other pumpkin ale recipes. However, I do know that I want the SRM to be in the low 20's and I want it to be balanced (not overly sweet or bitter).

Beertoad currently has this at 7.4% ABV, 19 SRM and 35 IBU's.

Also, how do I add the pumpkin? I understand that the pumpkin won't lend much flavor without adding it to a mash, but I don't want to brew a pumpkin ale without a pumpkin in it.

Critique please!

Never done a pumpkin that wasn't AG but I guess you could steep it. Aside from that the only thing I think is that the chocolate malt might cover up the pumpkin flavor. I might be wrong as it's only 4oz but without mashing the pumpkin it will not be very forward after fermentation.

I've never done a pumpkin ale before but I would recommend adding a bit of pumpkin to your secondary fermenter a week or so before you plan on bottling. Just make sure you boil it so you don't risk contamination.

Adding it in the secondary helps keep the flavor and smell more of a major part of the ale. You still may want to add some to the wort at the beginning or steep it but a bit at the end should keep the pumpkin character strong.

If you have the equipment you may want to try some with it in the secondary and some without so you can compare them.

Primary: Dark Belgian Strong Ale
Secondary: Raspberry Heather Melomel (mead)
Up next: Rye Ale
Long term project: Scotch oak Russian Imperial Ale

I added pumpkin once to the secondary and i had a heck of a time racking it when it came to bottling time...

If your going to added at secondary use a bucket with the pumpkin I'm a nylon bag or grain bag.... I lost prolly a gallon

But i would step some and boil some

I'm wondering about the chocolate malt too. It may take away a bit from the pumpkin, particularly given your concerns about the pumpkin not adding much flavor since it won't be mashed.

Back