Need SMeSH or SHaME recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsjracing

Reaction score
Going for a 2 gallon Single Hop and Malt Extract IPA

3 lbs Light DME.

.75 oz Centenial(Pellet) 60min
.50 oz Centennial (Pellet) 15 min
.25 oz Centennial (Pellet) 5 min

US-05 Yeast

Am I on the right track?

I would say you are on track! The last SMaSH I did earlier this year had the following hop additions:

FWH - First Wort Hop (added after the mash but before it starts boiling)
15 min
5 min
Dry Hop for 4 days

If you have a total of 2oz of Centennial hops, I would use that last half ounce as a dry hop. Thats just my opinion. Good luck and cheers! :mug:

I agree about shifting some of those hops to later. You don't list the AA of your centennial but if I were to use my current supply that recipe is showing about 110 IBU. If you do the following instead I'm getting 1.067 and about 63 IBU (maybe a little more from the flameout hops if it takes a while to chill), plus you'll get better hop aroma:

.35 oz at 60
.5 oz at 15
.5 oz at flameout
.65 oz dry hop

Dry hopping is adding the hops to the fermenter, typically when fermentation is partially or fully finished. Some people bag the hops I just throw pellets in then cold crash before packaging.

Thanks. I haven't picked up my ingredients yet so I can't really tell you the AA for the hops

Back