Need refrigeration experts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoboJoe

Reaction score
I know a guy who is selling his kegerator. It does not currently cool, but supposedly the compressor turns on. I haven't looked at it yet. Supposedly, it is a U-line that is about five years old. Two things: 1) I didn't know U-line made kegerators, and 2) doesn't it seem sort of strange that a five year old system isn't cooling. It seems like a little more than just needing a charge. Like a possible system issue. Any thoughts? I need to let him know if I'm interested and what I'm willing to pay.

Just thought I'd check the board for ideas on possible suggestions. Thanks in advance.

The lubrication for the compressor is in the coolant. If it's empty and they've been running it, the motor has been stressed. Stay away.

Generaly coolent can't leak out unless something happened to the line. spontaneous leaks are like winning the lottery. Possible, but not very likely. Generally when they run, but don't cool the compresser is shot. Even though it runs it still isn't doing it's job. Kinda like Home Depot employees, Ya know? Unless it's free and you can salvage parts like a tower, beer lines, faucet, CO2 tanks or such leave it alone. Because then it's you that has to get rid of this thing and sometimes fridge units can be hard to get rid of. Depending on your local.

Back