Need recipes involving apple juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackE1

Reaction score
I am interesting in trying something new. I have made on batch of apfelwein and have another finishing up fermenting.

I want to experiment. I have been searching a reading all day on ciders and cysers. I am open to any ideas, the ingredients i currently have are apple juice, frozen apple juice concentrate, and Montrachet.

I was thinking about getting honey and maybe some sort of spice.

My goal is to make something completely different, maybe something sweeter then apfelwein. Can that happen with Montrachet even thought its ferments out dry?

I am open to any and all suggestions and ideas.
Thanks in advance:mug:

My goal is to make something completely different, maybe something sweeter then apfelwein. Can that happen with Montrachet even thought its ferments out dry?

I am open to any and all suggestions and ideas.
Thanks in advance:mug:

If you want it completely different, you probably should pick a different yeast, because i think that'll be a huge factor. and cheap to accomplish. I'm not an expert though, my first apfelwein is just about ready to keg.

Try Safale S-04. I used EC-1118 and it went down to .998 I use the S-04 and it stopped at 1.008. Much more apple flavor and a touch of sweetness.

Its a cheap dry yeast. Well worth it.

thats what i was hoping for in the apfelwein maybe i should try that. I assume it makes kraeusen since it is a beer yeast?

Yes the Safale S-04 will make krausen. I used a six gallon carboy and filled it with five gallons of cider pitched yeast and the krausen crept up to the airlock, I didnt need a blow off but came darn close.

Use the apple juice and honey to make your base, whichever yeast you choose.
When you bottle, use the concentrate to sweeten it up, after you have stabilized it of course, and maybe add some fresh cinnamon, nutmeg, clove...

Back