Need recipe idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hooty

Reaction score
I have the following ingredients that I would like to use up to do a 2.5 gallon batch:
1.65 lbs of Briess Golden light malt extract
1 packet of Nottingham yeast
a little Irish Moss
1/2 oz Willamette hops
1/2 oz Fuggles hops

I'm thinking I can add a pound of some type of DME and possibly some steeping grains to do a partial mash. Anybody have a good simple recipe for a pale ale or something else that could incorporate these ingredients?
thanks

Easiest thing to do would be to throw in ~8% crystal (40-80L) along with the extra pound or so of DME, use the Williamette at 60 minutes and the Fuggles at 10-20 minutes. You'll end up with a simple English bitter.

You'll be at ~1.040 starting gravity, 7ish SRM, and 30ish IBUs

Easiest thing to do would be to throw in ~8% crystal (40-80L) along with the extra pound or so of DME, use the Williamette at 60 minutes and the Fuggles at 10-20 minutes. You'll end up with a simple English bitter.

You'll be at ~1.040 starting gravity, 7ish SRM, and 30ish IBUs

How much would 8% be? I'm fairly new to this and am getting ready to do my first PM this weekend. Also how long should the total boil be?
thanks

just saying...everything you mentioned has a pretty good shelf life...years actually. you could always add a little extract and make a very drinkable beer but I would pick a style you are looking for and add to your stash...It will all get used in the end:)

How much would 8% be? I'm fairly new to this and am getting ready to do my first PM this weekend. Also how long should the total boil be?
thanks

figure .5lb... steep your grains for 45 min at 150 (easy and works). DONT squeeze! pour about 2-3 cups hot water over grain bag to wash...then remove grain and boil water/stew. once boiling add hops and time 60min...add everything accordingly. sorry im a huge pitt fan and just bitter they lost :mug:

Cool, thanks! Any idea what the closest commercially produced beer would be to this?
You talkin about Big Ben and the boys or the University?

Ya...anything pitt...pitt vs wvu game ended about 3 hrs ago and im not happy but life will go on:)...what you have left is too low on sugar. everything else will work. I'm not sure what you have now but if you add 1-2 lb of sugar and a little wheat (1-2lb) then hop everything you have 60min its a krolsch in my book...Many will say that notty is not a krolsch yeast but I disagree...the notty yeast makes a good light german ale:)

Back