Need recipe help please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vex3521

Reaction score
I have a beer hating husband I'd like to try to turn around. He will drink wine, whiskey and loves my mead (unless you count my metheglin that's hopped with tettnang and hallertau) so I figured I'd see if anyone had any thoughts on setting up a recipe for someone that's NOT a beer person.

His beer drinking experience was limited to whatever was at parties back in school days so bud, coors, misc lite beers... so yuck! So pretty much any time he gets a smell of beer that comes back and he's basically not touching it. Couldn't get him to try my stout (used fuggles) and I'm just drawing blanks looking at kits for sweetness notes or low hops presence trying to get ideas.

I'm sure it's a lost cause but wanted to try anyway! Thanks in advance!

Belgians are my go-to for bmc people who can't stand beer anymore for one reason or another. Porters are a close second. Maybe try a robust porter with one small bittering addition and no more hops. I'm thinking the roasty/coffee characteristics, without any hop scent, should be far enough departed from bmc and other "beery" beers. I have a good recipe for a robust porter that you could drop the flavoring hops from with no issues.

I would go with a light Saison with a lot of carbonation. The fruity/flowery flavors with the carbonation remind me of champagne or prosecco, especially when served in a tulip glass. Definitely don't overwhelm him with roasted malts or hop bombs.

A milk stout might do well, something with a fair amount of lactose and a lot of roastiness won't smell anything like cheap party beer.

I have a beer hating husband I'd like to try to turn around. He will drink wine, whiskey and loves my mead (unless you count my metheglin that's hopped with tettnang and hallertau) so I figured I'd see if anyone had any thoughts on setting up a recipe for someone that's NOT a beer person.

His beer drinking experience was limited to whatever was at parties back in school days so bud, coors, misc lite beers... so yuck! So pretty much any time he gets a smell of beer that comes back and he's basically not touching it. Couldn't get him to try my stout (used fuggles) and I'm just drawing blanks looking at kits for sweetness notes or low hops presence trying to get ideas.

I'm sure it's a lost cause but wanted to try anyway! Thanks in advance!

Id go with something he can relate to like a nice lawnmower bear - a cream ale. Very simple beer and very little bitterness. It is a good way to break in those hardcore miller/bud drinkers. Here is a thread on a good cream ale recipe recipe/ I have made a slight variation of it and it came out great!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=66503

Id go with something he can relate to like a nice lawnmower bear - a cream ale. Very simple beer and very little bitterness. It is a good way to break in those hardcore miller/bud drinkers. Here is a thread on a good cream ale recipe recipe/ I have made a slight variation of it and it came out great!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=66503

I think the OP was saying that her hubby HATES the taste/smell of light beer, so a cream ale might not be a good choice in this case.

That was the complaint on my stout that it smelled too "beery" it's got great coffee and chocolate notes in it, didn't run it as a milk stout and it was a no sell on getting him to try it.

Belgians are my go-to for bmc people who can't stand beer anymore for one reason or another. Porters are a close second. Maybe try a robust porter with one small bittering addition and no more hops. I'm thinking the roasty/coffee characteristics, without any hop scent, should be far enough departed from bmc and other "beery" beers. I have a good recipe for a robust porter that you could drop the flavoring hops from with no issues.

But this thought on a robust porter minus the hops addition sounds like it might work. Looking at Saison also thank you Aristotelian. Can never have too much bottled away in my opinion lol just want it to be more than holidays, get togethers and such that it's coming out since otherwise it's a Lot for 1 person!!!

Tough one, but I also was thinking something high OG that's either barrel aged/wood chipped. Sounds like your best bet .

Although, being a beer buyer too :): I'd be curious if he likes DFH 61 Minute (grape must), sours (Stone has a pretty funky Winter Harvest that's out), or anything barrel aged.

It's the hops lol I'm not going to win this one! Just walked into his office with a stout (which used fuggles and Not a lot of them at that) and I think we cleared up his sinuses since he's sick and it still apparently Reeked. Oh well more for me.

Brew day got derailed on me today so next brew day if I have the carboys I expect to I'm doing an amber and a porter minimum. Might start another mead but debatable if anything started now would make it for my last competition in April or if I'd be holding it for October!

It's hard for some of us beer lovers to believe, but some people just do not like beer.

Just like some crazy folks don't like cilantro, some don't like the smell or taste of fermented malted barley.

If it's not about beer styles, like he enjoys one style but not another, I'd quit trying to "convert" him and just make what he likes for him. I know I would resent it if I disliked red wine and my husband kept pestering me to try it. It's not worth it- people like what they like.

I'd say try a sour on him. If that doesn't get him, at least you'll know it's not just hops that he doesn't like.

I can understand not liking red wine but some folks don't like cilantro? They're on their own.

This is true Yooper! I'll try stuff I wasn't bowled over in the past but he's more set, so that just means more for me. Least he'll do a tasting of "anything but beer" so I can live with it.

Going to be running a porter experiment next brew day thanks to Bransona too and we'll see how those go. One is weaker hopped than the other so if it's really hops then we'll know it, and that weaker one is going to cater to a few friends also so win-win.

Hmmm...Cilantro-Coriander Blonde Ale could be the solution to everyone's problems.

Oh lawdy. I like some weird beers (a rosemary sage ale from Richmond, va) but that sounds like some kind of west-coast, California nonsense.

That being said, I'd still be compelled to try it lol

Maybe try some commercial examples on him until you find something he likes and then work on a clone recipe for a batch of your own.
Does he like Scotch? Founders Backwoods Bastard is a Wee Heavy cave aged in oak bourbon barrels.11.60% Abv

Back