Need opinion on high temp fermentation accident

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

telebrewer

Reaction score
So I have a converted chest freezer for temp control. I'm a firefighter and pitched the yeast at 70 deg., then went to work for two days. During my time at work we had aplumber come by and he knocked the plug out of my temp controller. My wife checked the brew and it said 83 when plugged back in. we estimate it was unplugged for 30 hours? Cooling back down to 67 deg now. What is the opinion here on off flavors? Should I go through with it, or brew another batch? Pretty bummed

depends alot on what kind of yeast you're using and what style of beer. it might have even killed the yeast if it got hot enough....

is yeast alive? did krauzen form?

83 isn't all that high. Sure it's too high for a controlled ferment, and your quality may suffer a bit, but I can't imagine it's ruined the beer. Before I got a freezer for ferment control I did quite a few kit-and-kilo brews that would have been fermenting around 30 degrees C, they were fine.

It's a West Coast IPA.
whats the ambient temperature like where the freezer is located? I doubt it is > 80F?
Keep in mind that the beer has a sizable thermal mass and will change the temperature very slowly. Especially when sitting inside a freezer (closed environment).

I guess I would go through with it. Safale US-5 has fermentation temperature range up to 77, so it is very possible it will be fine (it will clean up after some small amount of off-flavors). Plus it's a West Coast IPA so it will be hidden behind hops anyways.

Definitely wait and see.

I would let this beer finish. The 30 hours also included the lag time for the fermentation to start. The fermentation may not have enough hours, over 75°F, to produce off flavors to ruin the beer.

Check the SG in eight days and taste the sample. If the SG is near estimated FG you can remove it from temp control, unless the ambient temperature is unusually high, and prepare another beer.

Thank you for the replies. I remeber the early days of fermenting in my closet. Off flavors and hot alcohol taste. After temp control things have never been better. I'll stick it out and add some extra hops.

83 is very high for that yeast. It sounds like this happened at the start of fermentation too which is when most of the yeast character is determined. Do you know if it got like a good 24hrs at cool temps before the fridge shut off? hopefully its not too fusel-ly

Back