Need kettle advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wobblybob

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am new to Brewing have only done extract on top of my glass stove doing 5 gallon batches and all but one came out great. I am looking for a new kettle and like the spike Brewing 10 gallon. Now I am not opposed to Brewing outside on a burner, and I just build a kegerator because I’m sick and tired of bottling beer that absolutely sucks. If you’re going to brew outside and do a 10 gallon batch does a 15 gallon brew kettle get you there? If I am going to stick to Brewing inside I found a Anvil 5.5 gallon which I had one of those, or there is also a bayou classic 8.5 for the same money that is supposedly new for 80 bucks online craigslist or something Thanks in advance, Bob

If you decide to stick indoors I have the anvil 5.5 gallon kettle and am really happy with it. I also spent the $20 bucks or so to get the ferment in a kettle kit for it and it works great. I have even done some hacks to be able to do a very low pressure no oxygen transfer when fermentation is finished.

If your talking about doing BIAB (all grain) a 15 gallon kettle may not work for 10 gallon batches. You may need a bigger kettle . I would check out BIAB forum . If your going to continue to do extract it will be fine .

I do BIAB in a 15 gallon Spike. You can do most 10 gallon recipes fine if you watch for the hot break and do small sparges. The kettle is actually a little larger than 15 gallons.

A 15 gallon kettle is large enough for 10-gallon boils, assuming you are using a separate mash tun, and not doing brew in a bag (single vessel). Do you plan to mash and boil in the same kettle, or are you using something else (e.g. another 15 gallon kettle or cooler) to mash in?

I have the SS Brewtech 5.5 gallon kettle. I boil on my kitchen stove too. I don't know how long i have been using it, its been a few years. I've never had a problem with it. The 3 piece ball valve that it comes with is of great quality. I have never had any leaks. (knock on wood)

I am new to Brewing have only done extract on top of my glass stove doing 5 gallon batches and all but one came out great. I am looking for a new kettle and like the spike Brewing 10 gallon. Now I am not opposed to Brewing outside on a burner, and I just build a kegerator because I’m sick and tired of bottling beer that absolutely sucks. If you’re going to brew outside and do a 10 gallon batch does a 15 gallon brew kettle get you there? If I am going to stick to Brewing inside I found a Anvil 5.5 gallon which I had one of those, or there is also a bayou classic 8.5 for the same money that is supposedly new for 80 bucks online craigslist or something Thanks in advance, Bob

There are many things to consider and we simply do not have enough information. However, maybe I can point out a few items.

Like @Jag75 pointed out, it depends if you will only be extract brewing or eventually moving to all grain brewing. Your post is not clear on that topic.

I'm a believer in buying something of quality that will give me the flexibility to grow. Thus, saving me money in the long run since I would not be buying basically the same equipment over and over again. In this hobby, the two biggest changes people encounter is going from extract brewing to all grain brewing and going from small batches to larger batches. If your equipment is not large enough to handle those changes, you will spend more money on new equipment.

There is no rush on your part so you have time to think about what your brewing looks like now and where it will be in years to come. Do you see yourself ever going to all grain? If so, trying to brew a 10 batch in a 15 gallon kettle may be challenging since you have the hot break boil over to be careful with. Then, your recipe and advance processes (that you may learn later) will have an influence on the size of wort you start with. Depending what type of set-up, a 20 gallon BK may be more appropriate.

If you go all grain, the mash tun kettle size may come into question, especially if you brew high ABV beers since you will be using more grain.

There are many type of systems out there to choose from: one kettle, two kettles and three kettles systems. With enough reading and knowing your current situation and where you hope to eventually be, only you will know what is the best size kettle and system for you. Just remember to buy up and the best quality you can afford so you are not outgrowing the purchase(s).

Well I ended up with a anvil brewing 5.5 kettle brand new in the box for $70.00 That price I figured I am good to go as long as I’m still just doing these 5 gallons on the stove top. Thanks everybody for all your help

Back