Need Immediate Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coach_Hogleg

Reaction score
Decided today to add the second tap handle to my fridge. Drilled a second hole in the side of the fridge and hit a copper line. Based on my research since that point, the fridge is pretty well done for, poop.

To my question. I have a full corny keg full of beer with no way of keeping it cold. What are my options? Do I keep it out in my garage, Iowa, on CO2 or bring it in the basement and take it off the gas? Are these my only two options, minus buying a new fridge?

Decided today to add the second tap handle to my fridge. Drilled a second hole in the side of the fridge and hit a copper line. Based on my research since that point, the fridge is pretty well done for, poop.

To my question. I have a full corny keg full of beer with no way of keeping it cold. What are my options? Do I keep it out in my garage, Iowa, on CO2 or bring it in the basement and take it off the gas? Are these my only two options, minus buying a new fridge?

Well, it'll keep just fine at room temperature. You could chill it down and try to drink it by using a cooler and ice. Or drink it warm. OR get another fridge.

Either on the gas or not is fine. I routinely fill my cornies and then let the beer sit for weeks and sometimes months until there is space in the keezer or keggerator. I leave mine in the basement to condition. Even if you take it out of the cold fridge and bring to room temperature it won't do any harm to your brew. Sounds like you do need a new fridge though. Put those tap handles in the door next time...no worries.

What type of beer is it?

If you have some extreme temperature in that part of the house, I would just boil up priming sugar and add it to the keg, seal it up and let it carbonate naturally in the basement until you get a new fridge.

Thanks for the advice, question for the future. Assuming my CO2 sits outside of my fridge, where should that hole be placed? I guess I just got lucky with my first tap handle hole and the CO2 line hole that I put through the side of the fridge. Any additional advice is appreciated.

go to the DIY section and make yourself a keezer! Sorry about your fridge that really is not fun.

Carbonating beer at room temperature is hard and you would not want to pour it without probably 50 ft of line. I need 10ft at 40 degrees at 8 psi. Or you can wait until winter and keep it in your garage

How bad did you hit the copper tubing? JB Weld is a fantastic product, I've used it to fix some pretty bad crap.

I guess I should also mention the full keg has been pressurized if that makes any difference. Thanks for the help.

Well, the fridge is toast anyway. I'd pull the gas cylinder and plumbing out of it, and set it up with the keg wherever you think is the coolest location for now.

Then I'd start scouring Craig's List for a fridge...

Cheers!

Take advantage of the opportunity. Keep it cold like a keg at college, invite your friends over for a BBQ this weekend and eat, drink and be happy. Keg will be gone by morning.

Or, just do what Yooper said because that will work just as well. You need to look at this as a gift from the beer Gods and build the kegerator of your dreams.

Thanks for the advice, question for the future. Assuming my CO2 sits outside of my fridge, where should that hole be placed? I guess I just got lucky with my first tap handle hole and the CO2 line hole that I put through the side of the fridge. Any additional advice is appreciated.

Cut some of the plastic away from the inside of the fridge, fell around for tubing, and drill from the inside.

Back