Need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NAVET

Reaction score
My wife is working on her masters and a required class is marketing. Not sure what that has to do with HR but hey I'm just a HS grad.
She is curious what homebrewers spend (average) per year on homebrew supplies. She knows what I spend but wants to know how I compare to your average person. :eek:
She doesn't believe me when I tell her I need more money for homebrew stuff.

I spent only about $50 for the initial investment just to make small extract batches, but as time has progressed spent about another $100 on equipment. And most batches cost about $35 or so to make, so whatever that equals.

I have spent probably well over $500 for equipment, granted everything that I have bought has been new. This equipment expense has occurred over 15 months. I have probably spent doubled that amount on ingredients over that same period of time. Extract batches and a LHBS sucked my pockets dry. It wasn't until I put money down for AG that I am now making beer for around $0.45/12 oz. So this is totally making up for those expensive extract batches.

Let's see . . . .

Equipment - about $500

Ingredients - average $18 a batch doing organic grains in bulk, whch is about $400 per year.

I lower the cost by buying in bulk, but increase the cost by buying organic.

Depends on what you want.

I started brewing at the start of September 09, using a kit my buddy had and a keg kit from keg connections:
$100 - 2 carboys, assorted bottles, 2 buckets, 5 gal SS pot, etc.
$215 - 2 kegs, CO2, picnic taps
$50 - fridge

Then, I got a turkey fryer, then a keg to make a keggle, then more corney kegs,
$50 turkey fryer
$20 keg
$80 6 corney kegs

Then, I converted my keg to a keggle, turned the 5 gal pot into an HLT, turned the turkey fryer pot into an HLT, cobbled together my hoist in my garage, (see https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/incredible-invisible-ag-sculpture-picture-heavy-157905/), got some brewmometers, assorted thermometers, growlers, flasks, gas distribution, etc.

I'd estimate I'm in for around $1200, all told, since September 09. Of course, my purchasing has slacked off greatly in the last few months, but with my spring bonus I'll be dropping ~$400 on 6 taps for the fridge...and then more so that I can supply gas to 6 kegs + force carb, (can only gas 5 right now), and on and on and on.

But this is my BIG hobby...Other people will do it much simpler and cheaper.

I don't want to tally it up. It would be too scary. I have a "budget" set at 120 a month for ingredients. But I can't say I've ever stayed within that. One time purchases over the past year alone outside that budget have to be around $500. Maybe I should stop buying stuff for awhile? But I need more kegs...

Oh, for ingredients, about $25 per batch average (need to get that yeast bank going!), about 40 batches per year, so about $1000/year in ingredients.

Depends on whether you are still buying/building equipment, or just purchasing ingredients. Plus, if you buy bulk or not, extract or AG... Type of beer you like to make.

Too many variables.

My AG batches cost less than $20 each, and I brew about once every other month on average.

I tried telling her that equipment up front can be fairly inexpensive, less than $100 or so depending on what you get. Ingredients, again depending on how/what you brew, can run from $25-$35 per 5 gallon batch. I think she's going to have to worry about just ingredients and leave out equipment.
She says thanks for the help. I knew HBT would come through.

Back