Need help with mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Triggy

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I made my first must last night. I bottled it and added the yeast and yeast nutrients. It was only after I was reading what tomorrow's instructions were that I realized I put the wrong amount of honey in. It called for 2.5 lbs. But I only put in 1.5 lbs. The carboy is a gallon sized jug. I don't mind low alcohol percentage. (Honestly my girlfriend prefers it lol) but I'm worried I ruined the batch. Will it be alright?

It will probably be very dry in taste, think a very dry pinot grigio. I did my last mead with not enough honey, and it was so dry I couldn't drink it. Fortunately mead is very amenable to backsweetening (literally adding sweetener, usually more honey, once it's finished).

I have found a good rule of thumb, when making mead, is 3lbs of honey per gallon of 'finished' mead; so for a 3g batch, 9lbs of honey. Others may chime in with differing opinions.

It will be dry. I make 1lb/G and 3lb/G meads. Both are rather dry, but the 3lb/G has more body and flavor. I wouldn't call it sweeter, still at ~1.000, but extra alcohol does bring its own sort of sweetness. The 1lb/G makes a really nice and refreshing lawnmower beverage when carbonated to 2.5vol or so.

Last edited:
Back