Need help with extract to grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panfishrfun

Reaction score
Can anyone help convert this to an all-grain bill?

FERMENTABLES
LBS. TYPE/BRAND USE TIME TEMP
6 Light LME Boil
3.3 Amber LME Boil
3.3 Dark LME Boil
1 Crystal,80L Steep 30 155
1/4 Chocolate Barley Steep 30 155
1/4 Roasted Barley Steep 30 155
HOPS
OZ. TYPE NAME USE TIME %AA
3 Pellets Liberty Boil 75 3.8
1 Pellets Hallertau Boil 75 4.1

I made it once before "as-is" and it was great. That was when I was doing extract brews. I have since upgraded to all-grain, and would like to try it with this method. Any input is appreciated :mug:

Here's the general scoop:

1lb of base grain = .6lbs of DME OR .75lbs of LME @ ~70% efficiency.

Use that to convert all your base extract to base grain. Since you're using "amber" and "dark" extracts, adjust the dark crystals/roasted malts to match the color profile. It may take a run or two to tweak the profile to your liking as all extracts are a blend of malts (usually a base + carapils/crystal + roasted/toasted) but you'll get the benefits of all-grain beer:)

Not sure about adding Munich to obtain your color, since it doesn't exist in the original recipe...

Munich malt is designed for it's flavor characteristics, not it's color-dropping abilities. It's slightly darker than a base 2-row/pale but has lower diastatic power and using it in large amounts in darker beers (as I'm assuming the OP is shooting for) will not give the proper toast or tannin the dark extract blends are designed to reproduce.

I'd definitely recommend using the software linked, just don't rely on a specialty base like Munich to get you to your desired SRM. Use a specialty malt suited to your style (roasted/toasted) and in the amounts appropriate upon your base grains.

Here's a link to Briesse's LME descriptions: http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Products/Extracts.htm

Obviously they don't give the exact amounts they use when creating their LME, but it might give you an idea of where they're headed. If I were you, I'd just plug in what you have (replacing ALL extract with base 2-row/pale) and adjust the specialties to match your color profile...possibly add a 1/2-1lb of carapils to provide body.

Thanks for the input, I didn't realize amber and dark extracts were just 2 row and crystal. I thought it would be more complicated for some reason. I'll put it in my brew software and see where it takes me

Cheers

Check Briess web-site for the percentages of grain that go into their extracts. Light is just 2-row with 1% carapils. Amber is proprietary (but seems to be roughly 95% Pale malt + 5% Crystal 60). Dark is a mixture of Pale/Crystal/Chocolate/and Roast, or something like that. They have the percentages.

Back