Need help with adding cocoa nibs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mystikty

Reaction score
I am brewing a 5 gal batch of peanut butter porter. I am four days into my fermentation (primary). I am soaking 4 oz of cocoa nibs in rum which has been in the freezer for about 24 hrs. How long should I soak and when and how should add the nibs and/or extract? Should I add vanilla extract to attenuate the bitterness? Please note that I am not planning to rerack into a secondary. Thanks in advance for your guidance.

When I've used cacao nibs it's been 250g after primary fermentation, just dumped into the fermenter. I let it secondary on them for 2-4 weeks, depending on the beer. Never added vanilla to try to balance bitterness...

I've done a stout with cocoa nibs and vanilla beans, not extract. I soaked my nibs for 2 days, but I doubt anything between overnight and before the spirits evaporate will be a problem. In my stout, adding the vanilla was welcome, but it was on the toasty end with just enough sweet malts to be reasonable. In a more typical recipe I'd consider it optional.

I find that the vanilla helps cut the bitterness of the nibs. Makes it taste more like dark chocolate rather than bakers chocolate. I do 3 oz nibs and 3 or 4 vanilla beans (split, scraped and cut) steeped in vodka for at least 3 days. Throw the whole mix in the fermenter a week before packaging.

I find that the vanilla helps cut the bitterness of the nibs. Makes it taste more like dark chocolate rather than bakers chocolate. I do 3 oz nibs and 3 or 4 vanilla beans (split, scraped and cut) steeped in vodka for at least 3 days. Throw the whole mix in the fermenter a week before packaging.

I like the idea of the dark chocolate flavor with the peanut butter. Well wish me luck! I will dump it all in and see how it goes. No matter what happens, I'm having fun with this. Thanks everyone for your input!:mug:

Back