Need help - wiring external controller for Magic Chef chest freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chewse

Reaction score
I finally bought a chest freezer that I hope to turn into a fermentation chamber. I purchased a Magic Chef 6.8 cf chest freezer. Based on various threads I've read, I need to purchase an external controller to override the built in freezer controller in order to automate the higher temperatures.

Two things:
1) what would be the proper external controller to buy and
2) is there a Youtube video that shows how to wire the external controller to the freezer?

For external controllers there are a couple routes to go. I have controllers that the freezer simply plugs into. Other brewers have hard-wired them in, but for me plugging into the controller was the easiest. I have two "factory built" controllers, a Johnson Controls A419, and a Control Products TC-9102. Both of these are great and are easy to use. I also built a couple of controllers using a STC-1000, a plastic electrical dual outlet box, faceplate, and outlet from the hardware store. There are plenty of wiring diagrams and instructions for building these available on-line. So, it comes down to time, money, and inclination. The STC based version is a little trickier to use in that it displays in C, not F, so you need a conversion table nearby. Also, it's not quite as intuitive, so I have to keep the instructions nearby (but I have to admit I need the instructions for my other controllers to, now that I think about it). If you want the easiest and can spend $80 or $90, the factory made controllers are great. If you have a little time to spend along with some basic mechanical abilities, then you can build a STC-1000 based controller for about $30.

Best of Luck!

For external controllers there are a couple routes to go. I have controllers that the freezer simply plugs into. Other brewers have hard-wired them in, but for me plugging into the controller was the easiest. I have two "factory built" controllers, a Johnson Controls A419, and a Control Products TC-9102. Both of these are great and are easy to use. I also built a couple of controllers using a STC-1000, a plastic electrical dual outlet box, faceplate, and outlet from the hardware store. There are plenty of wiring diagrams and instructions for building these available on-line. So, it comes down to time, money, and inclination. The STC based version is a little trickier to use in that it displays in C, not F, so you need a conversion table nearby. Also, it's not quite as intuitive, so I have to keep the instructions nearby (but I have to admit I need the instructions for my other controllers to, now that I think about it). If you want the easiest and can spend $80 or $90, the factory made controllers are great. If you have a little time to spend along with some basic mechanical abilities, then you can build a STC-1000 based controller for about $30.

Best of Luck!

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back