Need help using WET Hops Chinook and Columbus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian4x4

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have some homegrown Chinook and Columbus hops.
about 10oz wet of each.
I also have a lot of hop pellets but I would like to use the whole hops alone.
(I read that with wet hops beers better to use a pellet hop for bittering..)
I have lots of Simcoe, Citra, Amarillo, Cascade, and Warrior hops as well.

I want to make a IPA. I was even looking at the stone brewing company arrogant bastard clone and maybe revising it a bit to suit the hops I have.

from what I gather 5-5.5 oz of wet hop to 1oz dry hop pellets.
so I maybe able to do a 10oz columbus 1st addition and 2 seperate 5oz additions of chinook hops.

I use a pump and don't have a false bottom so I was going to put them all in a hop bag...
not sure about all this.
looking for tips/ advice/ maybe a few good recipe ideas!

thanks for the help as always

Brian

do these hops not go good together?
any help on making a good IPA recipe?

I was even thinking maybe doing 10 gallons and using the chinook and columbus as late addition hops and use pellets for bittering.

I've never used wet hops, but seem to recall the Brewing Network podcast Brewstrong doing a podcast episode on using wet hops. I don't remember any specifics but you might want to download and listen to it. I'm sure they'll give tips and conversion ratios to use, etc.

Good luck.

All I know about wet hops is that it will make a messy, messy wart if you don't use a bag...but you already knew that.

I, too, have been curious about what the ratio of wet hops to pellets would be to get the same flavor profile. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

unless you have them tested you will not know the aa of the hops.
may I suggest making a tea of both pellets and another of fresh hops with known quantities and do a comparison and adjust accordingly .
I just did a wheat with fresh hops and used 1/2 oz at the start of boil and another 1/2 oz with 10 min to go....I think it tastes good YMMV

I've made single hopped IPA's with Chinook, and it's perfect for a nice pine vs. grapefruit flavor combination as a single hop beer. When fresh, columbus is a very similar flavor profile to Chinook, but when dried, provides a earthy herbal floral character that's great for aroma additions.

IMHO, since you don't know your overall alpha acids and flavor profiles from your garden grown varieties, i'd probably brew up two SMaSH beers with each hop variety on their own, and then one mixed hop beer (equal amounts, all additions maybe). Definitely use a fine mesh hops bag and let us know what your results taste like.

Today I picked all my Chinook hops and split them into two additions into my all wet hop IPA I made using all homegrown hops.
I put all my other Columbus hops in 1st for bittering.
10+oz of Columbus and 10+oz of Chinook.
17.5lbs grain... for 5gal batch...
I forgot to check the SG..
I checked it when I had 8gal pre-boil wort. (doh too much water again!)
It was 1.065 but I then boiled for 30min before doing any hops addition and then started my 60min boil after that!
ended up with the right amount in fermentor so that is good! I estimate with the 2.5gal boil off it is at about 1.075+

Smells and tastes great so far. I think I am going to like this one!
If I do, I can make it my own wet hop brew every year!

I made this little wand to sparge with, seams to work great!
I just removed my whirl pooling want and attached this shower wand.
I am sure I will make a better one someday when I have time, this was just till then..

[video=youtube;OdIZWu7P1xc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdIZWu7P1xc[/video]

boil

hops......

I put in 10+ oz wet Frozen Columbus hops. Plus a few extra hand fulls I found left on the vine and picked today.
So the rule of thumb for conversion of wet hops is. 5x1 so 1oz dry leaf hops to 5oz whole wet hops. then there is the Pellet conversion which makes it 5.5x1 so 5.5oz wet hop to 1oz pellet hop.
So Me adding all these wet hops is like adding 2oz pellets of Columbus. But flavor will be different. and I know hops change flavor as they dry. Sometimes for better.
but will see how mine taste!

I then added 5+oz at 30 min and another 5+oz at 15 min of chinook.

I did not want to use a hop sack with the whole leaf hops. didn't think it would extract all goodness out of hops.
But I also knew that I would not be able to use my pump as it would clog.
So I just used a siphon. no problem! thing worked mint.

cooling went quick, but not as fast as with pump and whirl pool.

looked like a nice cold break!

when it got to the bottom and full of hops I noticed the siphon stopping and the bucket was only 3/4 way full and lots of wort and hops in pot still.

So I went and sanitized this tool I use a lot and layed it over the hops and pushed it down with the siphon and was able to fill my bucket and fully drain kettle!
Using this made my think of a cool tool I can make in the future, like a false bottom!

Decided to go with the WL007 Dry English yeast. It deals good with high abv% and leaves nice malty taste but still attenuates very well!
It is a recommended yeast for pale ale and IPA and 2xIPAs.
I made a 1L yeast starter at 12:30AM this morning (Aka last night, late)

here it is!! looking amazing! and waiting to explode!
this yeast as you know can go nuts!

notice no hop leaf in bucket! the siphon worked amazing and so did the mesh screen I used.
Wait till I tell the guys at the homebrew club they will love this!

Bump...I too would also like to know how this turned out, I have 1lb of fresh dried chinook and columbus hops that I need to use and this recipe is exactly what I was thinking about. OP if you see this anytime soon please respond back with your results of this all chinook and columbus IPA. Thanks

Back