Need help toning down sourness of Rhubarb in a BM's Centennial Blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carloswlkr

TheBlindPig
Reaction score
I posted this a couple of days ago in the ingredients forum, but haven't gotten any responses. If anyone can help me with general guidelines or ideas, ball-park suggestions, I'd be grateful...

I brewed a batch of BM's Centennial Blonde and after a week in the primary, racked half of it (about 2.3 gallons) onto 4 lbs of strawberries and 2 of rhubarb, both washed, rinsed in sanitizer then frozen and thawed. The beer is [almost] ready to keg and carbonate, but it is quite sour from the rhubarb. I've read several suggestions in other threads for back sweetening with lactose or maltodextrine, and also suggestions to adjust the PH with chalk or baking soda to neutralize the acidity. What would you suggest to tone down the sourness a bit without imparting off flavors? (I'm not a fan of using Splenda.) If I went with chalk, gypsum or baking soda, any suggestions for how much to use in 2.2 or 2.3 gallons? I don't have a ph reading. If I went with maltodextrine (I have plenty on hand), how much should I use?

Thanks!

Thanks, nofootbreak. Was looking to adjust this batch without having to brew another. Any other suggestions for using maltodextrine for backsweetening and/or something to adjust the ph?

Precipitated chalk (a.k.a. calcium or potassium carbonate, or both), used in winemaking to counter excess acidity. Stir it into the beer in 0.5 to 1.0 oz increments, let it sit for a while, then taste. Repeat until the acid tang diminishes to your liking. After doing this I'd let it sit for another week in secondary to settle out, then you should be good to bottle.

You should also consider what carbonation and chilling will do to the acidic flavor. Leaving a little acid might make the beer very crisp and refreshing.

Thanks, Thunder Chicken. Will try to track down some calcium carbonate. Our one and only homebrew shop here in Costa Rica doesn't carry it, but imagine I might find some at a chemists store or pharmacist. Appreciate the advice.

Back