Need Help Reading Recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbarncord

Reaction score
I have been brewing kits for just over a year and have decided to try a recipe from the site. I am looking at Dark Belgian Trappist Style Ale and I understand all the ingredients I need but need help with step by step brewing instructions. I got spoiled with the kits and don't want to make a mistake. Here is how the recipe reads:

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Chimay
Yeast Starter: negative
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: Chimay Yeast Cake
Batch Size (Gallons): 6
Original Gravity: 1.104
Final Gravity: 1.022
IBU: 27.1
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 25.8
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 21 at 60 raising to 80
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): none
Tasting Notes: Distinctively Chimay, deceptive, highly drinkable...great for after dinner

15.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 75.00 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 5.00 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 2.50 %
0.50 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 2.50 %
0.25 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 1.25 %
0.25 lb Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 1.25 %
2.00 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 21.4 IBU
1.00 oz Argentine Cascade [3.70 %] (15 min) Hops 4.1 IBU
1.00 oz Argentine Cascade [3.70 %] (5 min) Hops 1.6 IBU
2.00 lb Candi Sugar, Amber (75.0 SRM) Sugar 10.00 %
0.50 lb Candi Sugar, Clear (0.5 SRM) Sugar 2.50 %

Beer Profile

Measured Original Gravity: 1.104 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.022 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 10.09 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 10.78 %
Bitterness: 27.1 IBU Calories: 489 cal/pint
Est Color: 25.8 SRM

Mash Profile

90 min Step Add 23.63 qt of water at 165.5 F 150.0 F

Thanks for the help,
Danial Barncord

Hate to sound dumb but I think I need to be stepped through it. With the kits you put the first grains in and steeped for 30 min. than brought it to a boil and added the rest of the grains to boil for an hour. Not sure what to do with what in this recipe.

Hate to sound dumb but I think I need to be stepped through it. With the kits you put the first grains in and steeped for 30 min. than brought it to a boil and added the rest of the grains to boil for an hour. Not sure what to do with what in this recipe.

That recipe is "all-grain". It is not the extract based type you have been brewing. You could replace the first two items with 11 lbs of light DME and 1 lb of amber DME then use the remaining grains listed as your steeping grains and follow your standard kit procedure.

That recipe is "all-grain". It is not the extract based type you have been brewing.
With this recipe you're getting your fermentable sugars out of the grains through mashing instead of extract which is ready to go. Think of extract as making oj from the concentrated cans and all grain as being freshly squeezed. This thread shows you how you could do this recipe without any extra equipment.

Back