Need help killing off infections

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xthestewx

Reaction score
So, im looking for some input on how to get rid of lacto infections and wild yeast, but first i think it might be helpful to give some back story.In recent months i had two of four batches of beer get infected both with something different. the other two were ok and one of the good batches went into the carboy to settle. One infected batch was in a bucket and the other in a old fermenter. I bottled one good batch, then an infected batch, then a good one again all through the same bottling bucket(of course cleaning with oxy and sanitizing with starsan in between batches). Surprisingly, the non-infected batches taste fine and not so surprisingly the infected one is bad. Since then iv cleaned/sanitized all my fermenters, but recently decided to make some apple jack with stuff laying around including bakers yeast, which i just found out has small amounts of wild yeast and lacto in it. Iv basically managed to cultivate some great infections. So i was just wondering: what can i do to mitigate the contamination? After oxycleaning, Will a acidified bleach rinse followed by a starsan wash kill any bugs in my fermenters? Am i screwed?
Any help would be great. As a side note three of my plastic buckets and the glass carboy are relatively new and dont have scratches inside of them, so if i can save them id like to.
Thanks

Super strange that your getting these infections while using starsan. You know it is a no rinse sanitizer right, so embrace the foam as sir Revvy would say?(not being condescending just want to make sure) I don't need to tell you about the apple jack stuff, you already know there. But honestly there is no reason your fermenting vessels would need some sort of deep cleaning, they should be getting totally sanitized before every batch with beautiful starsan bubbles, even with scratches. Wish I could help more, good luck sir.

my guess is that it is something in your racking equipment. Every joint is a place where bacteria will love to linger. If they grow a small collony the outside might be killed by the star sans, but once the dead cells are washed away by your wort or beer when racking the live cells will mix in. Are you using a wort chiller or chill plate? That could be a source as well.

Maybe try disassembling your bucket spigot--I found some terrible gunk in mine the first time I took it apart.

You basically need to either bleach bomb all your plastic gear (if any of the infected batches hit the glass carboy, do that too), or toss all plastic hardware that's come into contact with the infected batches. That includes fermenters, tubing, racking canes, auto siphon, airlock, etc... It's known that Star San can have issues with bacteria that is part of the infections. This is also why people typically have dedicated hardware (especially the plastic parts) when they make Brett's and such.

i disagree that anything has to be tossed out. i would be interested to know about star san having issues with bacteria since it's the only sanitizer i use on all of my gear that is (intentionally) dual use, sour/clean.

There are bacteria (could be part of the infections, unless you're a biochemist, with access to a lab, who actually KNOWS what's in there) that are resistant to the acid level of Star San. While you could use it for known strains, that respond well to Star San, I wouldn't bet another batch on a mystery infection.

Personally, I've not had any infected batches to date. IF I do get one, I'll probably boil some water in my fermenter (it's stainless steel), under pressure (I can do that, since I also have a pressure relief valve I can connect to it) and then toss out any tubing that I used on that batch (once it was infected). IMO, tubing is cheap enough to toss out. Almost everything else I use is either cheap/easy to replace, can be put into boiling water, or bleach bombed (probably won't do the bleach thing since I can't handle the smell of even a mild solution). I no longer use a siphon (auto or otherwise) or racking cane. I do have a stainless racking can in my hardware set, but it's been sitting unused for some time now. :D

Back