Need Help Identifying Problem With Chalky Taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjkinne23

Reaction score
I'm grateful for any feedback the forum can offer on a problem I've just started to encounter with what I describe as a chalky taste and mouthfeel in my last two all-grain batches. I've been brewing for years and have never had this problem but I've now had it with my last two batches. What's more confusing is that I always brew two separate AG batches at the same with two distinct rigs (yes, I did that instead of upgrading to 10gal batches because I like variety in my kegerator) and I'm not having the same problem with the other batch in these last two brew days where the chalky one appeared. My setups are exactly the same, I grind with the same mill, and run through all the same steps side by side. I read other posts about chalky tasting beer and nothing seems to apply.

I ignored it and just powered through drinking the keg the first time it happened because I made a "everything but the kitchen sink" batch using all types of leftover ingredients I had hanging around so I just figured in my ignorance with making beer recipes I had a bad combination of ingredients. But, when it happened again this second time I became very concerned because it was a very straight forward recipe that was very close to identical to the one I made in parallel on the same day using the same process (the same process on both carries all the way from brew day through dry hopping and kegging).

Please see the attached picture, which shows the cloudiness in the right one where the chalky flavor exists. This is exactly how the first chalky batch tasted and looked. The one on the left is perfect, tastes and looks great. Ugh, but why?!?!?

Chalky%20Beer.JPG

Here's the grain bill on the 'bad' batch. Note that I use BeerSmith2 and hit all my target temps and gravity readings. I maintained the fermentation temperatures steady and at Wyeast's recommended temp. Both were in the same chamber for the same period of time. I use a yeast starter for both. The water source was the same for all.

15 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs 8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM)
2.00 oz Green Bullet [13.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.00 oz Green Bullet [13.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)
1.00 oz Green Bullet [13.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1217) [124.21 ml]
2.00 oz Green Bullet [13.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days

Here's the one I did at the same time that turned out great. (by the way, if you're looking for a great alternative DIPA try this out. Is a really tasty stab at a Belgian-ish DIPA):

15 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs Special B Malt (180.0 SRM)
2.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min
1.0 pkg Trappist High Gravity (Wyeast Labs #3787)
2.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days

Here's the one that I did previously that came out tasting of the same chalky (please no posts on how bad a recipe this is, I know it. I was just throwing everything I had into it). Again, I did a different batch at the same time I did this one and it came out great, which tells me the process is ok.

14 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
13.3 oz Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM)
11.4 oz Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM)
8.3 oz Caraaroma (130.0 SRM)
4.8 oz Carafa II (412.0 SRM) Grain
3.7 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min
1.0 pkg American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) [124.21 ml]

Other than the recipe, the only thing that I can think of that's different is the equipment. I had done a dozen or so batches on my original rig without this problem. I did one solo run with my new rig and that came out fine. I did one dual run on my new and old rig and they both came out fine. It's been on run 2 and 3 that I've had the problem. I know that in run 2 the bad batch was in my new setup. I accidentally didn't record on run 3 which was in which rig.

I'd be grateful for any advice anyone has. Making two batches at the same time is a lot of work but is very rewarding. I just can't keep ending up with this result every time. I can power through a bad keg every once in a while (I'm no quitter) but eventually it won't be worth the effort.

Please let me know if there's more information I can provide. Thanks!!

Chalky Beer.jpg

I think its a pretty safe assumption to say its probably your new rig where the problem lies. What kind of Mash tun are you using? A cooler? A stainless steal pot? is it the same brand as your old rig? Are you using all stainless steel fittings on it? Try taking it apart and soaking it in some PBW and warm water. Brew again and see what happens, while keeping a record of which batch its in which rig. It could just be that the "old ingredient" batch threw some off flavors and they are lingering around. Hopefully the PBW soak will be the solution.

Thanks scottballz, appreciate you taking a look at this. I'm using essentially the exact same setup on the new as the old. It's a 10g Rubbermaid circular cooler (the typical orange one that gets dumped on the coaches head at the end of the big game, for some bizarre reason that makes me glad not to be a coach). Stainless steel fittings on everything, all good quality stuff.

Interesting speculation that the first bad batch using the leftovers may have left something behind. What could that possibly be and could that actually be enough to cause such a drastic impact?

Other than some nasties lingering around in my new setup, anything else I could focus on between the two setups? My troubleshooting has me focused on that as the prime suspect as well but I just can't put my finger on what would cause it. The only major difference between them is the brew pot for the new rig has a sight tube where the old does not. Wouldn't think that could cause a problem, and didn't on the first solo batch.

Regardless, it's never a bad thing to break everything down and do a full PBW cleaning. I was hoping for the Silver Bullet- "no, you moron, you never mix X ingredient with Y, that'll always cause that!" But I'll give the cleaning a try...

Thanks again!

Yeah, like I said hopefully the PBW does the trick. I have the same setup as you with the rubbermaid cooler. I know its a pain in the ass to clean but try taking the whole thing apart and soaking the fittings, false bottom and tubing in the PBW and hot water. Then put it back together with some new thread tape and soak the cooler. Keep me posted on the outcome. If it doesn't work you can at least rule out contamination from the last batch.

Latest posts

Back