need help first all grain brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sibs

Reaction score
so i am mashing with way to much water i was suppose to have like 2.5 gallons
but i actually have 4.5 is there a way to save this brew or is a wash ? can i collect wart and reduce it down to the 5 gallons i need

How many pounds of grain into that volume? The two outcomes are that 1. you will have less sparge water resulting in lower efficiency (or a longer boil if you use the full volume) and 2. you may have to mash longer from reducing the concentration of your enzymes.

Do not call it a loss; persevere on and call it a useful learning experience.

i have mashed for 1 hour so far i was gonna go head a batch sparge and start the boil .... or should i mash for another hour

Did you add 4.5 gallons of water, or is the volume including grains 4.5 gallons - if it's the latter, you're fine. Also, with the pils, you may want to boil longer anyway to reduce the DMS (I actually do not have a lot of pilsner malt experience, so this is regurgitation of assorted Jamil Podcasts).

One thing you may want to toss in are rice hulls if you have them since you're using the wheat; otherwise sparge cautiously.

i have mashed for 1 hour so far i was gonna go head a batch sparge and start the boil .... or should i mash for another hour

If it was me, I'd go ahead and sparge. I think you're just fine - I was just trying to give you some info.

Good luck, I was like a kid at Christmas on my first AG.

well after i messed up the mash i started with close to 8 gallons i boiled down to like 4 1/2
i also added a half cup of sugar and a 1% alcohol boost after all that i hit my og i wanted 1.62. its fermenting away now but i dont know what to expect taste wise i hope its not to dry

I am fairly new to AG as well, but the trick I learned is add up your total water usage. For example, I found that I lose 1 gallon of water to 5 pounds of grain, I also boil off 1.5 gallons of water an hour... So, in a 10 pound-o-grain batch, that is boiled for 60 minutes, ends up resulting in 3.5 gallons of water loss (2g+1.5g). I then know that the 5.5 gallon batch I want will require 9 gallons of water, TOTAL. I have had nothing but 80% efficiency since.. Hope this helps...

so here is the beer it cam out very well after 3 week in primary 3 weeks in bottle its about 6% very clean and over all a good wheat beer

20130118_184142.jpg

Back