Need help Finding CACO3 breakdown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redtab78

Reaction score
I am trying to build a water profile in beersmith 3, based off a recent water report, and was wondering if anyone can help me figure out what to put for my Calcium and for the Bicarbonate.

The report says:
Alkalinity as CACO3 (ppm) is 89-114
Hardness as CACO3 (ppm) is 80-104

But I dont understand how to break that down into calcium and bicarbonate for the mineral profile. I am attaching the report to the thread....I am in the "FENA" colomn of the report

Attachments

• 2016-Water-Quality-Report.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 32
Last edited:
I am trying to build a water profile in beersmith 3, based off a recent water report, and was wondering if anyone can help me figure out what to put for my Calcium and for the Bicarbonate.

The report says:
Alkalinity as CACO3 (ppm) is 89-114
Hardness as CACO3 (ppm) is 80-104

But I dont understand how to break that down into calcium and bicarbonate for the mineral profile. I am attaching the report to the thread....I am in the "FENA" colomn of the report

I don't use Beersmith, so I can't really guide you through this, but it would be a good idea to post your question again in the Brewing Science section. The guys there will have answers for you.

It's possible to estimate bicarbonate from an alkalinity value, however its iffy to extrapolate calcium content from a hardness value.

Bicarb ~ 1.22 times the alkalinity value (expressed as CaCO3).

Back