Need help designing laminated overlay for my control panel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beernutz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have finally built my gas HERMS control panel and while everything works and the front switches are labeled appropriately I've decided I want to bling it up. I bought some 8.5 x 11 vinyl sheets that can be printed with an inkjet printer and I plan to make an overlay to fit over the control panel switches, PID, timer, etc. However, I'm terrible at art and design and looking for suggestions to improve the bottom image with regard to background, fonts, colors, really anything.

I designed the control panel layout using Visio. Here's the final version of my layout design plan:
HERMS_final_zpsc4ghrkkm.jpg

Based on that layout I built this:
IMG_1359_zps2foyb8nu.jpg

To design my overlay I started with the top Visio diagram and added a background image from Wikipedia and redid the control labels:
vinyl_overlay_zpsdo4uycbj.jpg

My plan is to print the vinyl, laminate it, then cut the holes for the controls and adhere it lightly to the front of the panel probably with double sided tape so that I can do other overlays if I feel the urge and switch them out. If I don't laminate I can just peel the backing off the vinyl to reveal its adhesive surface and semi-permanently attach it to the front of the panel but I don't particularly want to go that route.

Any design help is much appreciated. Also any suggestions on how to best cut perfect holes in laminated material would be great. TIA.

I can help part time brewer/full time graphic designer, what is the exact size of the print you will need, the image you attached is 768x1024 pixels, can i just work with what you attached?

I can help part time brewer/full time graphic designer, what is the exact size of the print you will need, the image you attached is 768x1024 pixels, can i just work with what you attached?

MarkyP, thank you very much for the offer but in the meantime since I posted that request I went another direction.

Back