Need help choosing first kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Who_Dey

Reaction score
I have all the equipment I need to brew my first batch...EXCEPT for the kettle.
I have been looking at options everywhere and reading the pros and cons and just can't make a decision. I know this isn't the first time this question has been asked, but I'm hoping someone might be able to help me out with some specific options.

My preference is to not spend a ton of money on a kettle that I will finding useless, assuming I grow into all grain batches. That said, I am willing to spend a little extra money from the get go if I can get something that is more of a middle ground option that I can use for a much longer time, even if I do buy something else later. So, I think I have narrowed it down to these options:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/5-gallon-stainless-kettle.html

Basic kettle, gets the job down, but limited by capacity

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003EWPCSG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Much larger capacity (30 quart), 3 times as much $$, comes with thermometer and valve

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/10-gallon-megapot.html

32 or 40 quart MegaPot, ($108.99/$132.99), can come with valve and thermometer already installed for more $$, but I would probably order without for now

I think I'm leaning toward the 30 quart option from Amazon as it seems to be a good option for the price, but wonder if I am missing something.

Thanks for any and all help...can't wait to get started!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my kettle history

1) started with a 5gl used it about 7 times extract.

2) got a 7.5gl used used 3 or 4 times all grain.( boil overs )

3) 15.5 keggle no boil overs.

I wouldn't go with anything less than 30 quarts. I use the 30 quart pot that came with my turkey fryer and still sometimes wish I had a larger one. Remember that when doing a full boil you're going to have to add more water than just 5 gallons to account for evaporation loss.

As far as a thermometer and ball valve go, if you have the means and are able, it's a hell of a lot cheaper to install them yourself than buying them pre-installed.

Another thing to consider is where you're going to be doing the boil at. From what I hear, most people cannot bring a full 5+ gallons to a boil on their kitchen stove. I've never ran into that because I use a turkey fryer burner.

Get a 10 gallon kettle. It will last you much longer. I have an 8 gallon from Morebeer that I like okay except that it's two gallons short;) I ALWAYS have to boil a gallon or two in my old 5 gallon pot. The 8 gallon works just fine for extract, especially with late extract additions but if you move to all grain, you will have boil overs unless you boil some of the wort in another pot (doesn't affect the final product but is a PITA). If I were going to do it all over again, I would just buy the damn Blichmann. THe megapot looks good though. Don't short yourself on the kettle, out of every piece of equipment in your whole brewery, it is the most important.

If you're willing to spend 120 on a 7.5 gallon, then you might as well get the 10 gallon for like 12 dollars more. I have never had a boil over in my 10 gallon pot, so I highly recommend it. There are some large aluminum pots on amazon for like 25 dollars though, if you're willing to go that route.

I really appreciate this quick feedback. :mug:

So one thing I'm hearing is to not put too much value into the valve and thermometer that come built into the 7.5 gallon pot. How much effort would it take to add those components later? Is it as simple as the right tools and the hardware?

Sounds like I might go with a 10 gal pot without the components and add them later. I think the Blichmann might be beyond my price range, but anyone know of a better option than the Megpot?

Thanks again

I really appreciate this quick feedback. :mug:

So one thing I'm hearing is to not put too much value into the valve and thermometer that come built into the 7.5 gallon pot. How much effort would it take to add those components later? Is it as simple as the right tools and the hardware?

Sounds like I might go with a 10 gal pot without the components and add them later. I think the Blichmann might be beyond my price range, but anyone know of a better option than the Megpot?

Thanks again

You can add a no weld ball valve for about 40 bucks plus whatever tools you might need to buy. However, he welded on ball valves are much nicer. If you can spend the extra for the welded on ball valve, do it, even wait if you have to. I don't think the thermometer is as crucial, I actually prefer the clip on type anyway.

BTW - An aluminum pot is not a bad option and would make a nice hot liquor tank if you choose to go all grain later. If you question whether to use aluminum, read the section on metalurgy in the back of How to Brew.

+1 to getting the biggest you can afford, but i started with the 28q turkey fryer ($29.95, with burner) at academy. even though i only use my 15.5 gallon sankes these days, i still find that 28q pot handy from time to time

Id also warn about 30 qt being a little on the tight side. I agonized over my kettle and ended up with a 40 qt thinking id be totally covered with absolutely no chance of boilover-- I was surprised to find that during my first batch the top of the boil was a mere 4 inches from the top of my pot... not the giant margin I was thinking. It worked out, but Im really glad I didnt go smaller.

thats my $0.02

oh, heres the one I got.. its basically the megapot, without the name and less a few hamiltons.

I will also say that pouring 6 gal of wort out of a 25 lb steel kettle is no small feat. It does a bitchin job of starting aeration though ;). Ill probably put a spigot in there someday.... not a thermometer though.

Latest posts

Back