Need feedback on a biab saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

auhoppymatt

Reaction score
16 gallon pot
20# Belgian Pilsner
3# Caramel Vienne 20l
3oz Styrian Goldings @60
1.5 oz Styrian Goldings @ 20
1.5 oz Styrian Goldings @ 0
14 gal of bottled water, looking to fill 2 fermenters with 5.5 gallons each.
Strike 156
Mash at 148 for 60
60 min boil
Will cool and pitch at 70 with a Wyeast 3711 and bring up to 85 over a 2-3 week period, then keg.

My goal is to try to keep the ingredients simple and close to the original style and let the yeast do their thing and dry this out. I want a great beer for late spring/summer. Any feedback or recommendations? I've done extract for years, this will be only my second BiAB.

I'd be tempted to replace your Caravienne with Vienna or Munich malt as Crystal malt is a bit out of place in saison. If you really want it in there though, perhaps reduce that 13% amount down to 4% or less and fill in the remainder with either Pils or another character malt of your liking. IBUs are on the hoppy end of things at 40, but since your 3711 will probably get ~89% attenuation or about 6.7% abv, it should balance out. If you're mashing low at 148, maybe allow 75-90 minute mash to ensure good conversion. Also, consider doing a 90 minute boil for Pils malt to prevent any DMS off-flavors. If you prefer a 60 minute mash (EDIT: boil), domestic 2-Row will be a good substitute for the Pils.

Definitely take the caravienna out. Caramel and crystal malts have no place in a saison. Maybe use some wheat or rye if you want something else in there. Im not a fan of munich is saisons. To me, it muddles the yeast profile and it tastes too malty. Vienna is OK. I like to add 5% sugar or so to all my saisons

Thanks for the feedback. That's why it's good to post these things, the Caramel Vienne was supposed to be Vienna all along - I just ordered wrong and plugged it into the calculator wrong. I'll probably add length to the mash and boil as well. Thanks.

Thanks for the feedback. That's why it's good to post these things, the Caramel Vienne was supposed to be Vienna all along - I just ordered wrong and plugged it into the calculator wrong. I'll probably add length to the mash and boil as well. Thanks.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Help, just noticed the package of my Styrian Goldings lists the AA as 1.4 on these. I have 8 oz and brewing tomorrow. Thoughts?

Help, just noticed the package of my Styrian Goldings lists the AA as 1.4 on these. I have 8 oz and brewing tomorrow. Thoughts?

I would go get some bittering hops and save your styrian for late addition. You'd just be wasting them if they all went in at 60 and still only get 20 ibus. If you can't get any more hops tomorrow my advice is brew another day.

What if I boiled them all at 60, then dry hopped? I have a starter going I don't want to waste.

Back