Need feedback IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johns4f4

Reaction score
New IPA recipe I want to try by am stuck on a final hop selection. Give me some suggestions and what you might think would go well with the others.

9 lbs American 2 Row
1 lb Munich
1 lb crystal 20
1 lb carapils
0.5 oz Motueka 20 minutes
0.5 oz Waiti 20 minutes
0.5 oz Mosaic 60 minutes
Unknown Hop, Unknown Time

There will be some kind of dry hop schedule with those three for undetermined time for now.

Thanks in advance for the help.

What flavors are you going for hopwise?

As a side note I wouldn't use that much crystal 20. IMHO crystal malt takes away from the hops and I tend to not use it all any of my IPA's.

Take the crystal down a lot, or totally and loose the carapils. You don't need it with 9lbs of nicely modified 2-row.

Also I'd up the hops to 1 oz each at least, what's your target IBU?

I'll take of adjustments with the ibus I'm just looking for an opinion solely on the hops. The base recipe is something I've made a hundred times and it is just fine. Clearly this is the wrong group of people to ask. I am a fairly experienced brewer.

Clearly this is the wrong group of people to ask. I am a fairly experienced brewer.

Wow... I was going to offer an opinion, but if I am the wrong guy to ask anyway, I won't bother.

:(

If you have the information then go for it but don't reply to this post just to nit pick at a recipe like the other two guys did.

Both of them mentioned hops in their comments, they didn't totally ignore your question...

Anyway, I hope you get the answer you are looking for! Have a buttercup day.

If you're bittering with Mosaic you might as well dry hop with fresh dollar bills.

Or dry hop with more Mosaic.

As an aside, the two folks you decided to crap on were just trying to help. I'd drop one of the specialty malts too, especially considering you have Blonde level hops in your IPA thus far.

Smooches, C.

Obviously not trying to help. It is clear you are not reading the posts. This is a tried and true base recipe and if you are here to crap on it then I report your post. Only post if you are willing to answer the post.

With both a lb of Munich and crystal your deff malt heavy with only .5 oz hop additions. That's fine if that's what your going for. Not ipa territory though. Even if you put another .5 oz of mosaic at 10 min and FO.

Obviously not trying to help. It is clear you are not reading the posts. This is a tried and true base recipe and if you are here to crap on it then I report your post. Only post if you are willing to answer the post.

Report it til you turn blue Holmes.

People could possibly be thrown off because the very first words in your post say ( new ipa recipie I want to try)

With that being said just use whatever hops you would like but I would start with upping all your additions.

Then I would go with a large amount of possibly galaxy or El Dorado late in thr boil or whirlpool whichever you process you prefer for your IPA.

:mug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back