need basic Hefeweizen recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surtur

Reaction score
I am a beginner, I have been doing the kit beers (brewhouse)for far to long the most simple home brew possible.. (only thing i really learn about is sanitation) but now i want to start All Grain and am looking at the BIAB setup since all i really need to get is a Stock pot and a few small items.
but how to start? i have a few Home brew stores in my area but i am not 100% sure what they offer other than the kits so i might have to look online for ingredients.

no i would like my first few batches to be a nice basic Hefeweizen
i am looking at doing 5-5.5g batches. (looking at a 9gal stock pot)
now does anyone have a very simple recipe for me

i found this one (is this good for BIAB) and if so would this work in the 9g pot or would i need to scale down and how would i go about getting down to the 5-5.5g size?
6.25 Gal
6 lbs. - Pilsner Malt
6 lb. - Wheat Malt

1 oz - Hallertau
Wyeast Weihenstephan Weizen (3068) - 800 ml starter ( i know there are a few different yeasts to choose from for this style)

now my question for this recipe is, is the 6.25 Gal the finished amount or starting amount of water? obvious nOOb question.

and does this sound like a good starting point for a nice weiss beer

If the recipe calculations are correct, then 6.25 should be the starting amount of water. The grain will absorb some water, so that is why you start out with more than 5g of water. As far as sparging, I am not familiar with a BIAB set up, so I cannot help you there.

EdWort has a simple Hefe recipe that has become one of my favorite beers! I brew it often and we never get tired of it!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/bee-cave-brewery-bavarian-hefeweizen-35679/#post349675All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Hefeweizen

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan
Yeast Starter: Yes
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.052
Final Gravity: 1.009
IBU: 10-13
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 3-4 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 days at 68 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): None

3rd Place winner of the 2007 Alamo Cerveza Fest

Bavarian Hefeweizen 5.5 Gallon

7# German Wheat
4# German Pils
.5# Rice Hulls (if needed to prevent stuck mash)

Mash for 90 minutes at 153 degrees.

.75 Hallertau @ 45
.25 Hallertau @ 15

Wyeast Weihenstephan 3068 with starter.

Ferment 10 days at 68 degrees then crash cool & keg.

O.G. 1.052
F.G. 1.009

5.6% abv

well the recipe i posted actually just says sparge as usual..?
this is the entire recipe from (hope i can post the website i got it from)
brew365.com

All Grain Recipe - Hefeweizen ::: 1.052/1.012 (6.25 Gal)
Grain Bill (Assumes 70% Efficiency)

6 lbs. - Pilsner Malt
6 lb. - Wheat Malt
Hop Schedule (12 IBU)

1 oz - Hallertau (60 Min.)
** OR Use Liberty (1oz) instead **
Yeast

Wyeast Weihenstephan Weizen (3068) - 800 ml starter
Mash/Sparge/Boil

Mash at about 152 F. Sparge as usual
Boil for 60 minutes
Cool and ferment at about 64F

will this end in the 5-5.5g range? and is sparge required?

EdWort has a simple Hefe recipe that has become one of my favorite beers! I brew it often and we never get tired of it!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/bee-cave-brewery-bavarian-hefeweizen-35679/#post349675All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Hefeweizen

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan
Yeast Starter: Yes
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.052
Final Gravity: 1.009
IBU: 10-13
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 3-4 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 days at 68 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): None

3rd Place winner of the 2007 Alamo Cerveza Fest

Bavarian Hefeweizen 5.5 Gallon

7# German Wheat
4# German Pils
.5# Rice Hulls (if needed to prevent stuck mash)

Mash for 90 minutes at 153 degrees.

.75 Hallertau @ 45
.25 Hallertau @ 15

Wyeast Weihenstephan 3068 with starter.

Ferment 10 days at 68 degrees then crash cool & keg.

O.G. 1.052
F.G. 1.009

5.6% abv

ok so the 5.5g is starting amount of water?

that will be good for 5 gallons in the keg/bottle when it's all done. i'd lean a little more toward edwort's recipe. he's one of the best brewers i follow and i use his recipes. your grain ratio is more for an american hefe (using an american yeast). yes, sparge is needed to get the og up to where it should be so you don't just add plain water and weaken it

ok thanks i would prefer a more german style so i would try the edwort recipe.. with his starting at 5.5g what would that be when finished?

as for the Rice Hulls is it advisable in the first batch or try the first batch without and go from there?

I am going to brew this sometime this week. Anybody ever make it without doing a starter. I don't have any dme handy and was considering just itching right into Carboy.

I've made a hefe recipe that is very similar. I pitched a new (one week old) Wyeast 3068 pack without a starter. I fermented at 68F and the beer turned out great. Supposedly 3068 can produce more esters when underpitched. Which may be a good thing if you want more banana flavor.

Pot is fine, no idea about burner quality. You don't need rice hulls for BIAB.
Just make sure you keep the fermentation temps under control for the hefe, it's one of the most important parts of the process. Remember for BIAB you want your grains milled finer than what is used in traditional brewing setups.

As far as your starting water for BIAB, assume about 1L of water per 1kg of grains is absorbed. so for 5.5g (21L), with 11lb (5kg) of grains you need 5L extra water, in addition to boil-off water.

All told you'll need 30L of water to start (5L absorbed + 4L boiled off) more or less depending on your boiloff rate (mine is 4L/hr in a 40qt aluminum stockpot on electric range).

Back