Need advice.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marx102

Reaction score
So I was planning on brewing NB's Jamil's Evil Twin today. Unfortunately last night before bed I realized I never made a starter. (OG is 1.062) Going to my LHBS to buy another wyeast packet is out of the question today.
So do I make the starter today and put off brewing a few days?
Do I just pitch the one Wyeast pack and hope for the best?
Do I hold back some of the DME to lower the gravity to a level the yeast can handle?
I have some wyeast German Ale yeast that I harvested, made a starter with and then put into a mason jar and into the refrigderator, do I add that as well since the other strain I am using is American ale yeast?
Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

Hi Marx. For me, it would depend on how much I wanted to brew today. You can make your beer with the yeast you have, it will just take a while for it get up to strength. Its not recommended, but you'll still make good beer.

If it didn't matter to me whether I brewed today or not, waiting for another day wasn't a big deal, then I would make the starter and delay brewing.

There's no right or wrong answer here, of course.

If it were me, I wouldn't add the German Ale yeast, unless I was feeling in the mood for an experiment, because that is what it would be.

Also, your situation is a good example of why its nice to keep a few packets of dry yeast around. If you are using an American Ale yeast today, for example, you could swap that out for either a Safale US-05 or a Danstar Nottingham - no starter required.

Good luck whichever way you decide!

That's why I thought it would be better to make a starter & let it sit at least 24hrs. If you made the starter 1st thing this morning,it might be ready by the time you're done brewing in late afternoon. I got away with that with a brew that had an OG of 1.048. anything bigger,& you might need it to ride the 24hrs.

Back