Need Advice: Transition from Career to Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlc767

Reaction score
A good friend and I are heavily considering a small start-up brewery. Currently, we are knee-deep in research, but I had a question for the forum that I haven't found the answer for online...

What is the best way to transition from a steady paycheck, career job (corporate 9-to-5) into the role of a full-time brewer?

Any helpful tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks !:)

It will be a 3.5 bbl brewery, but I don't want that to factor into anything; it's an endeavor we're willing to make, regardless of the outcome. :mug:

Was just curious if anyone else has done something similar.

No investors, still researching. Small savings.

I've always dreamed of starting a brew pub, and then going from there. That being said I have no Idea what Permits, Licenses, Zoning, FDA approval, ect. requirements you need to do such a thing. That would be (in a guessers terms) the best and easiest way to start brewings a making money I would think. Just don't do It anywhere near where I live whithout bringing me on board. :)

Oh, and watch the movie "Beer Wars" before going in it gun hoe. It's pretty interesting for people aspiring to become brewers.

No investors, still researching. Small savings.

Then I'll agree with Kilted Brewer. Keep your career job so you still have some money to live off of and maybe some additional money to invest into the brewery. Otherwise, where would you get YOUR cash for YOUR everyday expenses? You can't always expect to turn a profit immediately.

I think there was someone on here who was able to run a nano-brewery from his detached garage...that's how I'd do it...and plan to if I can.

How do you distribute this Nano-Brewery beer? I thought it was illegal to sell homebrew without proper licensing, distributers ect..

I have a friend who manages the local bar in my town and thought about selling him kegs every now and then for him to put on tap (it is an ale house with 10 taps or so) but decided against it so I didn't get him in trouble. Any clarification on this? I would love to sell beer to the bar?>

Dustin...Once you are licensed by the TTB/State it no longer becomes "homebrew". Yes, it is illegal to sell Homebrew. The TTB requires that the "brewery" not be located in your home, but has no issue if it's a separate building on your property. The gentleman Lcasanova may be referring to is in CA. Your local authorities may have an issue with it though.

Hmm. What does it take to get / maintain such a license I wonder? Doesn't really matter to me though I guess because I only have my house on the property at this point. Was thinking about building a seperate brew shed / house thing in the back though. Man that would be nice.

Kilted Brewer- that is the guy I was thinking about. I know different states have different laws so research is key here. You may have to have the brewery in a place that is properly zoned...you may not. I also know that some states have different laws about distribution, and here in Illinois self-distribution is allowed.

I was able to find the thread we were referring to above
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/things-i-learned-going-home-nanobrewer-137210/

Either keep your job and brew in off hours or wait until you have enough money to pay all of your bills and account sufficiently for emergiences for at least a year, if not two years.

You have a lot of paperwork to do before you'll even brew your first batch for sale, so you can definitely keep your job through the months of paperwork (e.g. permits, licenses, product testing, etc.).

Then I'll agree with Kilted Brewer. Keep your career job so you still have some money to live off of and maybe some additional money to invest into the brewery. Otherwise, where would you get YOUR cash for YOUR everyday expenses? You can't always expect to turn a profit immediately.

I'm guessing that a nano scale brewery would be similar to a independent restaurant in terms of profitability- and so I'd say you need an outside source of income for years, possibly permanently.

Restaurants take years to earn back the initial startup investment, which means the owners need to have substantial financial reserves or a good and deep credit line.

I think it's safe to assume you won't be profitable for some time with a nano brewery. Plan accordingly.

Oh, and watch the movie "Beer Wars" before going in it gun hoe. It's pretty interesting for people aspiring to become brewers.

x 2 on that documentary! Brings up a lot of good points on how much money is spent on brainwashing the human mind to buying certain products. Good luck!

Back