Need advice on gravity readings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ext41

Reaction score
I brewed my first ever batch on Sunday 24.8. made all kinds of mistakes then, but they are not what i am concerned about.

Coopers International - Australian Pale Ale
Brew Enhancer 2

My OG was around 1,045 - 1,040 (too foamy to tell more accurately and no test tube came with my lovely hydrometer)

Today (Friday 29.8.) i wanted to test my gravity readings, because it seemed my brew wasn't bubbling, tested the lid and other seals it might leak from. Pressed from the lid and it released gas trough my water lock.

I see thin krausen collar formed and CO2 bubbles on my beer. Which would indicate that the Brew has fermented. My gravity this time at first was at 1,010 that would mean it has done great fermentation period, but then my hydrometer starts to rise from the brew like a submarine. Going over the OG readings and beyond. (Yes i chucked it there after proper sanitation process.)

So my question is, should i trust the first reading and blame the rising of the hydrometer for the forming co2 gasses or get a new hydrometer?

I brewed my first ever batch on Sunday 24.8. made all kinds of mistakes then, but they are not what i am concerned about.

Coopers International - Australian Pale Ale
Brew Enhancer 2

My OG was around 1,045 - 1,040 (too foamy to tell more accurately and no test tube came with my lovely hydrometer)

Today (Friday 29.8.) i wanted to test my gravity readings, because it seemed my brew wasn't bubbling, tested the lid and other seals it might leak from. Pressed from the lid and it released gas trough my water lock.

I see thin krausen collar formed and CO2 bubbles on my beer. Which would indicate that the Brew has fermented. My gravity this time at first was at 1,010 that would mean it has done great fermentation period, but then my hydrometer starts to rise from the brew like a submarine. Going over the OG readings and beyond. (Yes i chucked it there after proper sanitation process.)

So my question is, should i trust the first reading and blame the rising of the hydrometer for the forming co2 gasses or get a new hydrometer?

What temperature is the room your fermenter is in?
Since you are doing an Extract Kit your OG is what ever they kit says it is as long as you hit your water levels correctly
Don't worry about it after 4 days. Let is sit for two more weeks and then bottle.
Time will help the yeast finish their job which is more than just producing alcohol.

It's at constant 73 f / 22,7 c. Just wondered the gravity readings, but found after little searching that it might be the co2 causing it to rise and the accurate reading could be the one where it started rising from.

I actually added little less water than instructed so think i'll go with the higher OG.

Photo of the fermentation

JToEXbc.jpg

RDWHAHB, Room temp seems a little high, but it should be fine. Let it sit for another 21 days then check your FG.
While waiting for the yeast to finish get yourself a sample jar for your hydrometer and a wine thief for taking the sample. You want to keep the fermenting bucket closed as much as possible.

If the wort is actively fermenting, the c02 bubbles will cling to the hydrometer and cause it to rise. That is likely what you saw. Try spinning it to shed them. If you reallly need a mid fement reading, take some wort out and place it in a test jar, allow it to degass then test. I seldom bother with OG and FG readings any more unless its a recipie I haven't done before.

RDWHAHB, Room temp seems a little high, but it should be fine. Let it sit for another 21 days then check your FG.
While waiting for the yeast to finish get yourself a sample jar for your hydrometer and a wine thief for taking the sample. You want to keep the fermenting bucket closed as much as possible.

What would be the recommended room temp? I thought 22-23 c / 71 - 73 f would be good enough for it and colder would do more bad than good.

The hydrometer rising would have freaked me out:) Anyhow I don't think k u have anything to worry about. I think u said 4 days. IMO reading you have aways to go before u need to check. I know u want to see what's going on. Kills me waiting sometimes. I keep my fermenter @70f and bottle 21 days after I brew. Never have strayed from that and never had a problem. Yes I think I. I got have had an infection one time but using the best sanitation practices it happens to the best. But u don't have an infection. Let it set, bottle at the three week mark, taste it then, fg It then just for Ur records and enjoy it a week or two later. When u taste it before u bottle u will have an idea what it will taste like but it will be much better carbonated two weeks later. BTW I've be known to pop one 3 or 4 after I bottle. It's good then have fun

Back