need advice on Brewers Best English Brown Ale - low OG second time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cageybee

Reaction score
So, this is the second time I've purchased this kit, and the target OG range is described as 1.045-1.049. Neither time did the OG get close - of the two batches the highest was 1.039. I've brewed three other batches (Belgian Blonde, Irish Red, and Belgian Pale Ale) and the OG readings were right on the money. Is it possible that this kit just won't brew 5 gallons? The directions say that after transferring the wort to the carboy, add water to approximately 5 gallons, but not more than would cause the OG to be outside the range specified. I'm not wild about taking multiple readings at this delicate stage for fear of contamination. But the implication is that I've added too much water....meaning it won't produce 5 gallons. Any ideas?

thanks

Sometimes the top off water does not get mixed thoroughly for the OG readings. It is hard to miss the OG with extract kits since the fermentables are pretty much spot on.

That BB English Brown Ale is a fantastic brew as we are finding out here. We're into it and it is one of our best beers. Don't blame you for a second round of it!!:)

I agree with this fella. you really really have to mix up the top off water as jethro55 stated. Without mixing it you cannot guarentee that your READING is accurate. Since the sugars are not mixed properly only the reading will be off... the yeasites will still work the same and your F.G. should be similar to expected... You'll be fine! Hope this helps.

I agree with this fella. you really really have to mix up the top off water as jethro55 stated. Without mixing it you cannot guarentee that your READING is accurate. Since the sugars are not mixed properly only the reading will be off... the yeasites will still work the same and your F.G. should be similar to expected... You'll be fine! Hope this helps.

I've read by someone else that even with vigorous mixing you might get false result.

In my last batch I missed the OG by .010 with extracts. I shaked the bucket like there were no tomorrow, and I'm sure I didn't do any error in calculating/recipe.

Back