Need advice on bottling a barleywine aged in a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BSBrewer83

Reaction score
Title kind of explains it. I have a barleywine that I have aged in a keg for 6 months. Basically the keg was the secondary. The only co2 the beer got was from purging the oxygen. I want to bottle this beer in the best possible way.

Question is should I force carb it then bottle with my blichmann beer gun or should I rack it to a bottling bucket and do the normal bottling procedure? It's been years since I have bottled beer.

Thanks!

Title kind of explains it. I have a barleywine that I have aged in a keg for 6 months. Basically the keg was the secondary. The only co2 the beer got was from purging the oxygen. I want to bottle this beer in the best possible way.

Question is should I force carb it then bottle with my blichmann beer gun or should I rack it to a bottling bucket and do the normal bottling procedure? It's been years since I have bottled beer.

Thanks!

I'd probably carb it up and then bottle with the beergun.

I'd probably carb it up and then bottle with the beergun.

ditto -

although... since the beer is under a blanket of co2 already, you could mix in sugar / yeast and bottle from the keg through the beergun so that way the barleywine could be bottle conditioned? seems like it'd be better to bottle condition beers you want to hold for awhile... but of course, everyone is going to have different opinions about everything :)

also, there are arguments for either way... Dogfish head doesn't bottle condition their huge beers and they age out just fine.

Back