Need a Yeast Recommendation!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

portdawg66

Reaction score
I've been all-grain brewing for some time. But now I'm trying to engineer my very first recipe, which is a Rye Bock The grain bill consists of predominantly 2-Row, Caramel Crystal Malt-80L, Chocolate Rye Malt, and Chocolate Malt.

What I need help with, is I'm totally lost on the type of yeast to use. I haven't developed my hop profile yet, but it will be mild-medium, because I want the malty character of the brew to come through loud and clear, and not be complicated with overbearing hops.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Please, if you recommend a particular type of yeast, please tell me why you thought that would be best and what impact it has on the taste in regard to the existing grain design.

Thanks, and BREW ON!!!

If you want an authentic bock, you should go with a lager yeast. You will need precise temp control to pull it off.
If you don't want to mess with a lager, you could use a very low ester ale yeast like us-05.

Roed Haus Brewery

Yep. It all depends of what sort of temperature you can pitch at and consistently maintain during the duration of the ferment.

What's that temp?

I might also suggest looking at WY 1007 German Ale. You can ferment it cool and it'll give some "German" character---its an Alt yeast. Given your grain bill, it might work really well. You would still need to get your temperature down into the low 60s upper 50s.

All outstanding recommendations. Truthfully, I've never pitched a lager yeast because I'm not confident in my ability to control/maintain the necessary temps.

Please, keep'em coming!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yep. It all depends of what sort of temperature you can pitch at and consistently maintain during the duration of the ferment.

What's that temp?

BigFloyd; thanks!

I generally pitch at about 70 degrees, and can maintain temps in the 64-72 degree range. Hope that helps.

Again thanks (to all)!

I might also suggest looking at WY 1007 German Ale. You can ferment it cool and it'll give some "German" character---its an Alt yeast. Given your grain bill, it might work really well. You would still need to get your temperature down into the low 60s upper 50s.

I love 1007! Great yeast with clean character. I have a wheat fermenting right now at 60 degrees, and it blew the lid off my fermenter :)

Roed Haus Brewery

Another vote for 1005 or 2565 Kolsch yeast.

You still will need to be able to get down to the upper 50's or at least very low 60's.

I think california/San Francisco lager yeast works well within warmer temps. If you can ferment at lager temps try wlp833 German bock lager 838 southern German lager or 820 Oktoberfest/marzen lager. I've never done a bock but these are what white labs recommends. These also a seasonal old Bavarian lager yeast.

I'm another lover of 1007 and I'm using it now for a faux rye IPL. I made a pilsner last year and could not tell the difference. I ferment about 60 and it's clean and flocs out relatively well.

Another vote for 1007. It won't dry the beer out as much as 1056, leaving a little more body to the beer. Character is also pretty clean, so the malt will shine through if you engineer the grain/hop bill correctly.

Cheers, and good luck!

BigFloyd; thanks!

I generally pitch at about 70 degrees, and can maintain temps in the 64-72 degree range. Hope that helps.

Again thanks (to all)!

That limits your choices unfortunately. Forget about lager yeast. Even the strains you can use to make steam beer really should be kept below 65*F (beer temp, not air).

I was going to suggest Nottingham, but that's a cooler strain too. It gives a very clean flavor in the upper 50's to lower 60's, but has got to be kept below 68*F.

Until you can get set up to ferment cooler (low 60's the first 4-5 days), you're better off sticking with stuff like US-05. One thing that will help you moderate the exothermic aspect of active ferment is to pitch cooler. Get the wort down around 60 before adding yeast.

That limits your choices unfortunately. Forget about lager yeast. Even the strains you can use to make steam beer really should be kept below 65*F (beer temp, not air).

I was going to suggest Nottingham, but that's a cooler strain too. It gives a very clean flavor in the upper 50's to lower 60's, but has got to be kept below 68*F.

Until you can get set up to ferment cooler (low 60's the first 4-5 days), you're better off sticking with stuff like US-05. One thing that will help you moderate the exothermic aspect of active ferment is to pitch cooler. Get the wort down around 60 before adding yeast.

I'm intrigued by the "German" character of the WY-1007. I'm leaning in that direction. I think I can get down to about 62-65 degrees and hold it there long enough to perform a two-stage fermentation.

Coincidentally BigFloyd, while shooting the bull with the owner of my LHBS, he (after reviewing my grain bill) also said that Safale US-05 would be a reliable bet. I typically default to US-05, because I've always had great success with it, and my target flavor is usually spot-on! Decisions... decisions!

To all that replied, my sincerest thanks! You are all the best. Still open to any/all suggestions and advice!

Brew On.........

Back