Need a new tablet/netbook

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would recommend a chromebook. I'm sure someone else would as well, but Chromebooks are basically little travelling chrome web browsers. Anything you can do in google chrome on a PC you can do there. With almost no risk of viruses and they're super fast because it's a light OS that doesn't intend on you storing media there, it uses flash storage.

They lack the value of a PC. PCs are still in general a bit better per pound on what you get vs what you pay because they don't use flash/SSD storage and generally smaller HDD which lowers cost. But IMO in the performance vs. price Chromebooks are better.

If all you want to do is go online, get a chromebook. I have a powerful desktop, a surface, and a chromebook. I probably use the chromebook the most overall.

I decided that a chromebook or a tablet isn't going to work for me, because I "need" some hard drive space. I got my new Dell yesterday, and it's bigger than I thought it would be, but so far it seems really nice.

When I'm in Texas, my netbook has to function as my desktop so it should do everything I want.

I decided that a chromebook or a tablet isn't going to work for me, because I "need" some hard drive space. I got my new Dell yesterday, and it's bigger than I thought it would be, but so far it seems really nice.

When I'm in Texas, my netbook has to function as my desktop so it should do everything I want.

Fair enough. I personally am not a huge fan of tablets. I have an 8 inch one that I barely use as my Phone and Chromebook/Surface dominate the usage. I think at some point soon tablets will be able to wipe out the small laptop market, but that time hasn't come, tablets need to get cheaper and faster.

You can use external storage with a Chromebook if you want to. I know you went elsewhere, but just putting this information out there for others.

Yooper, when you get past the start screen and start using it, make sure you have your update settings where you want them and make sure to get the last HUGE update that just came out last week. Do this before you migrate data etc.

If you dont know how to do this, just click on the windows icon at the bottom left of the screen, click on Settings, click on Update & Security, Check for Updates.

You can select if you want to install them (you do) and even when you want them to install if you select the automatic function. No matter what who says what about this, Update does not always install updates, I dont know why but it happens a lot.

Once you are fully updated in all windows, then migrate your programs and data. Once done, make a full hard drive back up, Acronis makes a fantastic full disk copy (True Image) and while I don't work for them in any way shape or form, I think they have the best software as of today.

Latest posts

Back