Need a new tablet/netbook

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My old netbook died, and I want to replace it.

The thing is- I have no idea what I want! I loved my little netbook.

I have never used an iPad or a tablet, and I do like the idea of having a keyboard available for my long trips but a tablet for shorter trips. So the idea of one of these sounds good to me: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00URGA106/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I have a desktop at home, but I spend some nights at my cottage, two or three months at a rental house in Texas in the winter, and I travel a fair bit.

That's why I loved my netbook- small and lightweight but fully functional.

Can you guys help me decide which way to go, and tell me what you'd recommend? Price is important to me- I'm a cheapskate!

I mostly just moderate this forum, check email, look up news articles, etc, and don't play games or anything on the net. I don't use chromecast but I might at some point.

I'd appreciate any pointers you could give!

Last edited by a moderator:
you gotta get a surface pro 2 or surface pro 3. Its a tablet, netbook, and laptop all in one. I love mine. It works great for home, work, and especially brewing. Its nice to hook it up to the tv in the brewroom, and have my wireless mouse and keyboard sitting on the counter. Then i can have my timers, full verson of beersmith (i hate the app version) and youtube/netflix going all at once.

I have gone threw many many laptops, netbooks, and tablets trying to find the right one for my business. Im in the office, then out in the field, then home, then back to the office, so it needs to perform everywhere i am. After going threw probably 10-12 different options, i got a surface pro 2. Now i have upgraded to the pro 3, and ill never look back. Next upgrade will be the pro 4 and that be it.

Have you considered a chromebook? I have one that is three years old, and it still browses very well, and unlike a tablet (fruit or robot based), there is full flash compatibility (flash is evil, but a necessary one...for now), and is secure and always up-to-date. They are also dirt cheap.

If it needs to be a tablet, Apple's are better, and I despise their 40% markup on everything. Android tablet apps are generally not optimized for tablet use, which can make things clunky. If you do go the android route, go Samsung, Nexus (the Nexus 9 was on sale for $200 last week), or the Nvidea Shield. LG and Dell do Ok, but you'd need to check model-by-model. Stay away from Grade X or walmart specials.

If all you're doing is consuming content (ebooks, video's, and lite browser usage), and aren't totally invested in the Google Play Store or Apple, the Kindle tablets are pretty decent. Good enough specs, and good prices. The main drawback is that amazon will use every chance they get to sell you something, so watch the 'Buy it NOW' button.

Windows 8.1 and 10 run pretty well on light hardware, and they've been trying to fight Chromebooks. HP has a good small laptop with Ok specs that is purported to run pretty smoothly, as long as you have 27 browser tabs open and try to run a video game. Note that this is the only way to use Beersmith. I would looooove Beersmith in a browser to use on my Chromebook so much I've almost switched to Brewer's Friend because of it.

I hope this helps! And Happy Brewing :mug:

Last edited:
I loved my netbook too. I got it from work for free because I worked on the processor. Altho at the time the price for the general public was around $550. I liked it because, like you said, I didn't care about it and its size. I could throw it in the back of the car, i didn't care if it got stolen and was a convenient size to carry around.

I never understood the attraction of the tablet until I bought a Samsung for the girlfriend. Her old desktop was dying and here kids were becoming computer active at school. I looked at their needs and I got a Samsung wifi only tablet for $200. The Wifi only actually cuts down on the price while giving you top of the line features. Everything they were doing wasn't compute intensive. The swmbo loved it also because she could hookup a wireless keyboard/mouse->tablet->printer and run a business wirelessly from the living room without the clutter of all those cables.

It seemed even more convenient than the netbook. Sitting back on the couch websurfing was just easier.

Now everyone is happy and can't live without it. I'd look into a year or two old top of the line tablet. You'll probably spend as much money in the accessories as you do in the main tablet. I think with everything connected to bluetooth and wifi most of your needs would be met. Plus you don't have to spend too much $$$$. Also, think about hooking it up to a "smart" tv. I know you're not much into tv but it becomes your second monitor.

The only problem with the technologies these days is they're built only to live to about 3 years.

Great tips, thanks!

As for a Surface Pro, the price is more than I want to pay, to be honest. That would be the thing that keeps me away from that or an iPad.

We don't have a smart TV, but we do have one little flat screen (23"?) my daughter gave me that accepts HDMI. So I can't see watching TV or anything for any length of time and we don't do netflix.

I do use Beersmith (forgot about that for a minute), and so I'd have to be able to run that.

I have an iPhone 5C, but no other devices or other phones. Even the phone is a relatively new thing for me (less than 2 years) and I'm not really "into" using it a lot except for the maps and iMessaging my daughter, and taking pictures with it.

My home network has a Vista desktop and a Windows 7 desktop, along with a couple of very old laptops (Vista and XP, believe it or not). So I need something that is easy to use with my older wireless router. When we travel, we use the iPhone's hotspot (Verizon) unless we are at the rental house in Texas, where we use the house's wireless services through a local ISP. Bob's Vista laptop disconnects all the time, but my netbook worked very well there.

Does that change anybody's ideas on what would work for me? We don't even have a Best Buy or anything within 100 miles so I can't even pick up something to hold and try and that makes it harder to shop. It really has to be online, so I'm sort of driving myself crazy trying to "see" what things would be like.

I do use Beersmith (forgot about that for a minute), and so I'd have to be able to run that.

That requirement will limit you to Windows or OSX (Apple's laptop/desktop OS). Knowing your budget (both a comfortable number and max number) would help a bit. I have used beersmith on my desktop from my Chromebook with a remote desktop web app, but it's not ideal, especially if the resolutions/scaling on the devices are dissimilar, which they almost certainly will be.

A few options come to mind that would meet those needs. Going for a used Ultrabook would net you the best device, depending on your budget. I found this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Yoga-2-13-13-3-Intel-Core-i5-4210U-1-70GHz-8GB-128GB-SSD-TouchScreen-/262172538993?hash=item3d0ab37871:g:hRAAAOSwwbdWPnXm

I bought one of these for my wife a year ago and she looves it, but it is probably overkill for your needs, but it should be take longer to become obsolete. If you do get it, have a person you know with basic IT knowledge make sure the 'Superfish' Lenovo issue has been dealt with on that individual laptop.

Asus also makes a couple of windows tablet laptops. I've used the android versions of these, and they are pretty good. The main thing they have going for them is their weight, and that they have Solid State Drives, which will make them feel much faster than their hardware appears.

Links:

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-T100-10-Inch-Wide-Laptop/dp/B00OBQ59UK/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1449516297&sr=1-1&keywords=asus+transformer+windows

http://www.amazon.com/Transformer-10-1-Inch-All-Aluminum-Detachable-Touchscreen/dp/B00TCUKWE8/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1449516297&sr=1-3&keywords=asus+transformer+windows

One option you have if you don't need it to be ultra light is to find a cheap laptop with a decent processor and 4-8GB of RAM, and replace their crappy 5400 rpm hard drives with a 128 or 256GB Solid State Drive.

Hope I haven't made this any more confusing than it already is.

Good Luck!

(also I'm really enjoying this Hoppy Amber recipe of yours)

I really like the price and style of that first Asus you linked to!

32 GB isn't much- can I install a few things (Beersmith, and maybe Picasa) on that?

I don't feel qualified, nor do I have the inclination, to swap hard drives or anything like that, but I can definitely use a SD card or upload my photos/recipes to my Dropbox.

What about an Amazon tablet? IIRC, it runs a slightly modified Android O/S. Amazon Fire HD 7" can be had for around $50, and you can pair a bluetooth keyboard with that for the times when you want a keyboard.

I really like the price and style of that first Asus you linked to!

32 GB isn't much- can I install a few things (Beersmith, and maybe Picasa) on that?

I don't feel qualified, nor do I have the inclination, to swap hard drives or anything like that, but I can definitely use a SD card or upload my photos/recipes to my Dropbox.

And out of that 32 GB a good chunk will be taken up with Windows and its backups. An SD card or some kind of backup would help, but it isn't the same. I wonder if they make a 64GB model? I doubt a 128+ exists.

Edited to add a link to a Newegg search for 2-in-1 devices with 64-128 GB SSD drives and 4+ GB of RAM, which you need for running windows.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100020039%20600423155%20600423156%20600423157%204019%204020%204018%20600004798%20600004804

One problem with Asus is the naming of their products is horrible. I was lucky to recall the T100 that I linked previously.

Last edited:
And out of that 32 GB a good chunk will be taken up with Windows and its backups. An SD card or some kind of backup would help, but it isn't the same. I wonder if they make a 64GB model? I doubt a 128+ exists.

Edited to add a link to a Newegg search for 2-in-1 devices with 64-128 GB SSD drives and 4+ GB of RAM, which you need for running windows.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100020039%20600423155%20600423156%20600423157%204019%204020%204018%20600004798%20600004804

One problem with Asus is the naming of their products is horrible. I was lucky to recall the T100 that I linked previously.

I saw the T200, and with 4 GB RAM and the 64 GB SSD, it looks like what I want I think.

Is there any downside to this model that you can think of? This is the one I mean: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232761

IPad... Although it is expensive because you will eventually replace all your computing with Apple products.
Nay Sayers, obviously don't own them, but will say they have.

Nothing wrong with the Walkinbook, the 3rd gen seems to be solid and affordable. The chromebook is the best there is for the money but no BeerSmith, sorry.

I have a Fire, a Yoga and a flip (I am a tech repair guy) and I am strongly thinking about a Surface Pro 4 or the Walkinbook.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B015R1R6EY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I personally have always had a 10-12" LONG battery life laptop/netbook/ultrabook. I also have, in the past, spent hundreds of hours a year on airplane, helicopters and bouncing around in various armored vehicles. They sure take a beating.

Lenovo makes tough stuff but their current X250 starts at $1000. I buy off-lease. Picked up an X220 with Windows 7 pro, 220 gig HD, etc. NO GLOSSY SCREEN so I can use it anywhere, anytime. $275 delivered. Battery needs replaced if I want that 8-hour run time and a 6-cell is about $80...want 11-14 hours run time...$140.

I just purchased a HP Pavilion 360, 13 inch screen. 8GB ram, 1 TB HDD. Seems like was $400. I needed to replace a 10 inch android tablet. This is Windows 10, so just getting used to it. Works as a PC or a tablet. I was worried about how hot it would run as usually I have it sitting in my lap browsing and watching TV at the same time. So far I am happy with it.

Nothing wrong with the Walkinbook, the 3rd gen seems to be solid and affordable. The chromebook is the best there is for the money but no BeerSmith, sorry.

I have a Fire, a Yoga and a flip (I am a tech repair guy) and I am strongly thinking about a Surface Pro 4 or the Walkinbook.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B015R1R6EY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Another IT guy here.....

For that price I think the Walkinbook is pretty hard to beat. Add the 128GB SD card and you should be ready to rock for just under $300.

Don't fear Windows 10, it is way better than 8 or 8.1...

Between the two I'd go with the ASUS. The keyboard seems to be permanently attached, so you don't really risk being separated from it and not having it when you want it. The specs are a bit better as well.

Tough part is everyone uses their computer differently and has appreciation for different models. I'd prefer one that was more like a computer than a tablet, but has touch screen.

My wife sits at her computer editing images and making GIFs for Tumblr. In the car she uses her phone. In bed it's the tablet. She's pretty happy with all of them. I almost don't want to use a laptop at all. I do a few things on my phone, and a tablet is slightly more handy than that. I generally only use the tablet when I'm cooking in the kitchen so I can see the recipe.

To each their own, I guess. The chromebook might be a great match for your needs if it weren't for Beersmith.

you gotta get a surface pro 2 or surface pro 3. Its a tablet, netbook, and laptop all in one. I love mine. It works great for home, work, and especially brewing. Its nice to hook it up to the tv in the brewroom, and have my wireless mouse and keyboard sitting on the counter. Then i can have my timers, full verson of beersmith (i hate the app version) and youtube/netflix going all at once.

I have gone threw many many laptops, netbooks, and tablets trying to find the right one for my business. Im in the office, then out in the field, then home, then back to the office, so it needs to perform everywhere i am. After going threw probably 10-12 different options, i got a surface pro 2. Now i have upgraded to the pro 3, and ill never look back. Next upgrade will be the pro 4 and that be it.

This right here is what I have. I have the surface pro 3 with an i5.

Totally awesome. The only thing about it is that I wish I would've got it sooner.

I've had 2 previous iPads and I have a galaxy tab 4.

I recommend buying the keyboard for it if you get it. It's going to run you around $1000 so it's a little more expensive than a tablet.

Touch screen and everything you need.

Homer brings up a good point. I don't see you lounging on the couch websurfing for days holding a tablet. You seem very active and probably will want to prop up a "lap/nettop" on a table as you read recipe instructions or wanna see how much the timer has on your boil.

Tech has become more about comfortability than microprocessor or even memory these days with the cloud. Plus I saw how many pizzas you dropped on the ground at PTN's. I don't see you mastering holding an Ipad while you're tossing some dough.

Between the two I'd go with the ASUS. The keyboard seems to be permanently attached, so you don't really risk being separated from it and not having it when you want it. The specs are a bit better as well.

Tough part is everyone uses their computer differently and has appreciation for different models. I'd prefer one that was more like a computer than a tablet, but has touch screen.

My wife sits at her computer editing images and making GIFs for Tumblr. In the car she uses her phone. In bed it's the tablet. She's pretty happy with all of them. I almost don't want to use a laptop at all. I do a few things on my phone, and a tablet is slightly more handy than that. I generally only use the tablet when I'm cooking in the kitchen so I can see the recipe.

To each their own, I guess. The chromebook might be a great match for your needs if it weren't for Beersmith.

That's the issue for me- I HATE using the iPhone for anything except basic GPS. It's small (and I'm old!). I love my desktop, and will always have a desktop.

But this year I traveled quite a bit, and the netbook worked so very well for me. It died in Disney World, and I'm not going to spend the time or money replacing the hard drive on on old computer. I need something to use at the cottage for one or two days per week, and to take with me when I travel. But in Texas, it'll be my daily "desktop" type computer for 2 1/2 months- that's why I was thinking of a 2-in-1 type.

Aside from email and the forum, I did some photos and Beersmith on the netbook, but I use Beersmith often enough that I definitely want to have it on the new computer.

The Walknbook looks interesting, but between a brand I've never heard of and Asus. I'd pick the Asus. More RAM, more local storage. The Idea presented by Onkel Udo is a pretty good one:

Lenovo makes tough stuff but their current X250 starts at $1000. I buy off-lease. Picked up an X220 with Windows 7 pro, 220 gig HD, etc. NO GLOSSY SCREEN so I can use it anywhere, anytime. $275 delivered. Battery needs replaced if I want that 8-hour run time and a 6-cell is about $80...want 11-14 hours run time...$140.

That is a great idea, along with the guy who talked about the Dell. If you can find those deals. Everyone knows someone who 'gets a deal, but unless you have a link, or a reliable source for the deal, it's just hearsay. It's also easy to recommend going from a $250-$300 device to a $500+ device because it isn't our money.

Ohh, I forgot to bring up one thing when listing pros and cons yesterday. DVD-ROM availablity. Most of the thin-and-light laptops don't have one. I don't remember if that is a thing that netbooks had, or if it is even something you would need. They are not that expensive, and available on newegg or amazon for <$30 if you would need one.

I guess my biggest question is can I get by with 2 GB of RAM, but get the 64 GB HD and do ok? It's so much cheaper than one with 4 GB of RAM.

Windows will run on 2 GB of RAM. How well it runs depends on how many different things you do at once, or have open. I, like many, have a bunch of tabs open on my browser, and a spreadsheet, and my email, and some pdf's, and whatnot open at once. If you generally work on one (or just a few) things at once, and then close them and move on, you could probably get away with 2GB of RAM. On Chromebooks and windows, I consider 4GB to be a minimum, 8 is awesome, and 16 is really only needed if you do RAM intensive tasks, which 98% of people don't.

As for the hard drive, it depends on what you need (as a previous commenter said, it's all very personal, which is a pain when shopping). If you do keep some documents, pictures, and music on your computer, then 32 is going to be very very tight. As you said, you mostly keep stuff on your desktop, so it's up to you how much headroom you want.

32GB is good if you need almost no storage except some documents, pictures, and music for Windows. 64 is good if you want *some* space, but aren't planning on loading it up. 128 is the minimum for a real dedicated device, like when your laptop is your only computer, and for most of us, we need a lot more. But you have that second device, your desktop.

I work on way too many ASUS lappys to give the OK to them. Lenovo is my first choice in all classes unless you want a Toughbook, then its Panasonic. For tablets, it's the Surface 3 or 4 but you will pay big bucks! Second is the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 but its running lolipop, no beersmith for you!!!

Crazy, off the wall tablet? My son and his wife just got a Galaxy View WiFi and ditched their broken TV (football accident).

Looks great. The pentium should outperform the atom-based processors in the Asus and the other one. Just disable all the extra Dell stuff when it arrives (Top priority regardless of manufacturer)

Yes, I always do that. And Windows 10 comes preinstalled so it should be quick and easy.

I loved the $319 price!

Looks like a good choice!

I've got a Surface 3 (i.e., non "Pro" version) and I think it's great. I know the Atom processor sounds like it would be wimpy, but after 6-7 months of use, it seems snappy enough to me. I use it heavily in my homebrew workflow, with Beersmith 2 installed, and OneNote/Excel for record keeping and organization.

I think everybody was laughing at Microsoft's vision for mobile with the dual desktop/touch interface of Win8 (myself included, even though I got used to it), but now the whole idea of being able to switch between "tablet mode" and "desk top" mode seems like the obvious way forward for those who want to be able to do real computing on the go. Restricting compact tablet-like devices to tiddlywink apps with big fat buttons and gimped features made a lot of sense when that was all that affordable technology could support, but that's not the case anymore.

I think everybody was laughing at Microsoft's vision for mobile with the dual desktop/touch interface of Win8 (myself included, even though I got used to it), but now the whole idea of being able to switch between "tablet mode" and "desk top" mode seems like the obvious way forward for those who want to be able to do real computing on the go. Restricting compact tablet-like devices to tiddlywink apps with big fat buttons and gimped features made a lot of sense when that was all that affordable technology could support, but that's not the case anymore.

I, for one, dislike the "dual-interface" on a desktop-only machine. Granted, Win10 has come a LONG way from Win8, but it still seems kludgy to have the "app store" on a desktop when you can't use mobile apps! :off:

I, for one, dislike the "dual-interface" on a desktop-only machine. Granted, Win10 has come a LONG way from Win8, but it still seems kludgy to have the "app store" on a desktop when you can't use mobile apps! :off:

It's awful on the desktop, but I'd welcome it on a dual-mode machine with touchscreen. I have to scratch my head in wonder at MS's decision to do away with the option for desktop interface ON A DESKTOP!

It's awful on the desktop, but I'd welcome it on a dual-mode machine with touchscreen. I have to scratch my head in wonder at MS's decision to do away with the option for desktop interface ON A DESKTOP!

Yes, I can see the benefit of it in a "convertible" Laptop/tablet, but on a freaking DESKTOP??? *sigh* Guess I gotta find a way to get it off my task bar so I don't constantly hit it to try and install new stuff. :)

In Windows 8 I used to think the store apps were goofy on a desktop PC because they had that forced "full screen" look to them and they behaved so much differently from desktop software. Now with Windows 10, you can window the apps, close them, open them, pin them, etc. the same way as traditional software--so that problem is more or less gone.

Granted, there aren't many store apps that I use on my desktop PC, but I'm finding that some of them are actually nice to have. YouTube, social media, and news readers come to mind as examples where the dedicated apps are nice alternatives to the more traditional browser-based options.

I have to scratch my head in wonder at MS's decision to do away with the option for desktop interface ON A DESKTOP!

When did they do that? I still have a desktop interface on my desktop... heck, I have one on my tablet as well, if I want it.

Well, the computer just came.

It's much bigger than I thought it would be- it's bigger than my old netbook- but it's very lightweight.

It seems like a quality product, not flimsy and metal (not plastic) for the most part.

Now, to get used to Windows 10....................

Ahhh windows 10. I simply do not care for it. Why can't they just keep 7?

I know I'm not even touching what 10 can do. I don't have the heart to upgrade one at one of my offices from 7 to 10 but I suppose I should.

My old netbook died, and I want to replace it.

The thing is- I have no idea what I want! I loved my little netbook.

I have never used an iPad or a tablet, and I do like the idea of having a keyboard available for my long trips but a tablet for shorter trips. So the idea of one of these sounds good to me: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00URGA106/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I have a desktop at home, but I spend some nights at my cottage, two or three months at a rental house in Texas in the winter, and I travel a fair bit.

That's why I loved my netbook- small and lightweight but fully functional.

Can you guys help me decide which way to go, and tell me what you'd recommend? Price is important to me- I'm a cheapskate!

I mostly just moderate this forum, check email, look up news articles, etc, and don't play games or anything on the net. I don't use chromecast but I might at some point.

I'd appreciate any pointers you could give!

I would recommend a chromebook. I'm sure someone else would as well, but Chromebooks are basically little travelling chrome web browsers. Anything you can do in google chrome on a PC you can do there. With almost no risk of viruses and they're super fast because it's a light OS that doesn't intend on you storing media there, it uses flash storage.

They lack the value of a PC. PCs are still in general a bit better per pound on what you get vs what you pay because they don't use flash/SSD storage and generally smaller HDD which lowers cost. But IMO in the performance vs. price Chromebooks are better.

If all you want to do is go online, get a chromebook. I have a powerful desktop, a surface, and a chromebook. I probably use the chromebook the most overall.

Back