Need a new syphon, suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TravelingLight

Reaction score
I hate my syphon. I wasted about a half gallon the other week racking to a keg because my syphon sucks and wouldn't stay primed. I will be getting a new syphon before my next beer. I'm curious as to which ones you all use and why you like it the best. I was looking at this one: https://www.morebeer.com/products/s...lon-carboy-smooth-necks.html?a_aid=brulosophy

I like the idea of just blowing to start the flow instead of pumping the syphon up and down and sloshing **** around. Thoughts?

Yep. Great Product

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice. Thanks for the advice. So you hook straight into your dip tube and syphon in that way? I've heard of others doing this, just wanted to be clear on your process.

Nice. Do you hold the PRV open the entire time it's transferring or just at first to release pressure? Cheers.

• Leave it open the whole time like the picture shows.
  • Pull rotate 90 degrees and it stays open.
  • Keep going till beer comes out the PRV or you run out of rackable beer.
  • Then kill the syphon by closing the PRV.
  • Disconect the QD
  • Then pressurize the keg and draw off beer till it's below the gas tube. (you'll hear the gurgling stop). It's a bout 12oz I'd guess. Plenty for a taste and gravity sample.
  • Carb in your preferred manner.

I hate my syphon. I wasted about a half gallon the other week racking to a keg because my syphon sucks and wouldn't stay primed. I will be getting a new syphon before my next beer. I'm curious as to which ones you all use and why you like it the best. I was looking at this one: https://www.morebeer.com/products/s...lon-carboy-smooth-necks.html?a_aid=brulosophy

I like the idea of just blowing to start the flow instead of pumping the syphon up and down and sloshing **** around. Thoughts?

I use a 1/2" autosiphon similar to https://www.morebeer.com/products/easysiphon-12.html and it's worked fine for ~250 gallons and counting. I had a problem with air bubbles until I secured the flexible hose to the cane with a few twists of wire.

Huh? Why would a submerged gas diptube overcarbonate the beer? I'm not buying. I do agree that it can cause backflow into the regulator if you don't have any check valves AND there is a lower pressure in the reg than what is in the keg already. It's not likely but it is possible. One fix is to trim the diptubes so that they are flush with the inside of the keg.

Huh? Why would a submerged gas diptube overcarbonate the beer? I'm not buying. I do agree that it can cause backflow into the regulator if you don't have any check valves AND there is a lower pressure in the reg than what is in the keg already. It's not likely but it is possible. One fix is to trim the diptubes so that they are flush with the inside of the keg.

When I first started kegging, being a newb on my first keg I put the gas in the beer post - I figured it out two weeks later when I went to hook up a tap and it wouldn't go on. That beer was over carbed. On my next beer I had filled the keg practically to the top - definitely over the gas tube and it also over carbed. In talking to someone who had been kegging for years, I was told not to let the beer get over the gas tube. Maybe I misunderstood his reasoning as to why but we were discussing my over carbing problems.

Latest posts

Back