Need a little help designing a kegging system.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TideJoe

Reaction score
I've decided on a micromatic reg and want to use a 3-way gas manifold to handle up to 3 kegs. My questions are what size hoses to use. I've seen both 5/16" and 1/4" on the gas side and both 1/4" and 3/16" on the liquid side (even though the liquid disconnect is 1/4"?). Do I take 5/16" to the manifold and from the manifold to the kegs or do I need to reduce to 1/4" after the manifold? Is 3/16" fine for the beer side (I'm going to use picnic taps) or do I need to use 1/4"? Thanks.

I don't think the gas side matters much, but I think my system is 5/16". You need 3/16" interior diameter liquid lines unless you're doing very long runs. I peeked at a kit at kegconnection.com (highly recommended) and they use 5' of 3/16" lines on their starter kits with picnic taps.

Kegconnection.com FTW in my opinion. However, I think that 5' of 3/16ths is too short for a permanent fix for most new world beer styles. As a rule I start with 12' of 3/16 th beer line and remove 6" at a time until I get the pour I want.
FTR, I use 1/4" HDPE lines now at 16' length @ 12PSI and 36*F. I get a perfect pour every time. I also have a tower cooler, baffle system, return fan, circulator fan and 4" shanks. Every system is a little different, so the best anyone can offer is a good guideline. With that in mind, start with longer lines and reduce until you find the balance you prefer.

Another kegconnection vote. 3/16 liquid 1/4 gas. If the connex are too tire just run the line under hot water and it will expand. I get lines from.the plumbing section at lowed/home depot and clean (BLC) and sanitize (iodophor) before serving. .20/ft is a LOT cheaper than online vendors.

Another kegconnection vote. 3/16 liquid 1/4 gas. If the connex are too tire just run the line under hot water and it will expand. I get lines from.the plumbing section at lowed/home depot and clean (BLC) and sanitize (iodophor) before serving. .20/ft is a LOT cheaper than online vendors.

The hoses don't have to be food grade? All I've seen and Lowes and Home Depot are just plain clear vinyl hose.

My logic is: its for plumbing; if its good enough to run drinking water through, why should my beer be so different?

Im sure someone on here will argue with me on that.

I don't think it's so much about "food grade" as it is about the wall thickness. For example, the 3/16" I.D. beer line at kegconnection is 7/16" O.D. I couldn't find any 3/16" I.D. on the Home Depot site, but even the 1/4" I.D. is only 3/8" O.D.

The thicker walls prevent expansion (and possibly rupture) of the hose under pressure and help restrict the flow and prevent foaming, especially on short lines.

WOAH! Ok, let's pause a moment. YES, any 3/16ths line will move beer, and wall thickness is important, but so is line composition. The vinyl and pvc tubing sold at Lowes and Home Despot is labled for it's accepted uses. To the best of my knowlege, it is NOT labled as approved for water or beverage transport and that is for a reason. Most plastics leach some flavors into liquids they contain. There is an excelent thread on here dealing with this. Search under"plastic flavors".

I told you others would say Im wrong. No off flavors and no problems with buldging lines. If it blows up in my face someday Ill be sure to let you know.

Back