Need a guaranteed successful hoppy recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonG

Reaction score
I have been brewing all grain for years, but have never really been satisfied with my results on hoppy beers. Other beers I do pretty well with. For a variety of reasons I took a 2 year hiatus from brewing and restarted about a year ago. However, my hoppy beer curse has seemed to follow me. I decided that part of the problem was my previous unwillingness to follow a recipe - I would look at a few recipes then design something myself. So, I decided I needed to stick to some successful recipes. The last two beers I brewed were Jamil's Evil Twin and the Pliny the Elder clone that Vinnie gave out a few years ago. I'm pretty dissapointed in both of them. They have this harsh, metallic hop flavor that is just sort of unpleasant. They aren't terrible, but are really not enjoyable. It is this same character that has always been in my hoppy beers, even when brewing with different equipment and different water (and even when making water adjustments).

So, I am looking for a "guaranteed" recipe for a hoppy beer. I want something that has been brewed a ton and gets consistently good results across the board. This way if it does not turn out well, then I know for sure it's me and not the recipe. My top candidates so far are:

- Tasty's Janet's Brown ale (link)
- Denny's Rye IPA (link) - towards the bottom of the page

Other ones I have looked at include:

- Union Jack clone (from Can You Brew It) - (link)
- Tasty's APA (link)
- Two Hearted clone (link)
- India Red Ale (link)

I have never brewed any of these, and I would love some recommendations from people who have brewed some of these if possible. Also, any recommendations of other recipes I should be looking at would be appreciated.

Again, I really want something bulletproof, so that if it does not turn out well, then I know for sure it's me and not the recipe. I would like something in the IPA strength range, but that is not really critical. I don't care if it meets any specific style or would do well in competition, I just want it to taste great. Thanks for the input.

JG

Recipe has little to do with it. Process and ingredients make all the difference.

If your hoppy beers aren't turning out right your technique or hop quality is at fault. Cooling time, water, fermentation, oxidation or hop age/storage are the first things to look at.

Check your water. Hoppy beers are helped by higher sulfate water. If you water is too soft, or too high in sulfates, you'll run into issues

The last two beers I brewed were Jamil's Evil Twin and the Pliny the Elder clone that Vinnie gave out a few years ago. I'm pretty dissapointed in both of them. They have this harsh, metallic hop flavor that is just sort of unpleasant. They aren't terrible, but are really not enjoyable. It is this same character that has always been in my hoppy beers, even when brewing with different equipment and different water (and even when making water adjustments).

It is not a recipe problem. 100% sure. Those are both super hoppy beers. I think the first place I would look at hop quality and then water and the process/equipment. Maybe take a look at fermentation and yeast too, yeast/fermentation health can have a lot to do with hop character.

Make a nugget nectar clone from this site, 87+ ibu. And it turned out very close to the real thing. I followed the recipe and used all the knowledge on this site. So I can say this site rocks!!
So what's a recipe you've tried ? Do you know your water profile? And can you describe your last beer you made?

Metallic? Are you using anything aluminum by some chance. Yes, aluminum is ok to use...but it can lend some metallic flavors if not prepared properly. Hops don't give metallic flavors...well I guess it's possible under very poor storage conditions. Have you always bought your hops from the same place? How do you store them?

I have made some very nice ipas with spring water that is soft before...so while water has an effect I don't think that's the place to start.

You could always buy a pliney kit. It think it's only like a pound of hops for 5 gal. That might cut it.

I am on board with guessing that it is your water. Maybe your utility has a website that you can get basic water chemistry info from and then you will know what kind of mineral additions you need to be making. If your other beers are good and this is not, I would like to think its not process or equipment... investigate your water:mug:

Search the site for water profiles. Someone might have uploaded your areas profile. Also how old and what were the hop %'s? How much did you use and at what times.

yes, water was a thought of mine as well. I ignored it for a while, but before the last two beers I brewed (the Pliney clone and evil twin) I listened to the Brewing Networks water shows a couple of times. My local water profile is:

Ca 123 / alkalinity 181 / Mg 14 / Na 30 / Cl 38 / SO4 36 / pH 7.6

However, I built up the water for both of these beers from distilled for a target of:

Ca 74 / Mg 17 / Na 6 / Cl 8 / SO4 180 / RA - 26

I hit the mash pH right on for both. I do have fermentation temp control, and the pliney was fermented at 66 F for 3 days, then slowly ramped up to 70 F. Yeast was US-05, purchased from my LHBS 2 days before pitching. The hops were ordered from MoreBeer.com, kept in a freezer when they arrived, and used within a week of arrival. I do use an aluminum HLT, I mash in a cooler, and my brew kettle is SS. I don't get any metallic off flavors in any other beers I brew, so I am not sure that this would be the source.

In short, I don't think there is any easy explanation for the problem. That is partly why I felt that I needed a tried and true recipe. Its not that I think that there is some magic to a recipe - that if I just find the right recipe my beers will be perfect. I know that a great recipe in the hands of a mediocre brewer will still turn out mediocre beer, at best. However, I would contend that a mediocre recipe, even if brewed by a great brewer, might still be a mediocre beer. My thought is that if I have a truly tested recipe that I brew, and it does not turn out well, than clearly it is something in my process that I am doing wrong that I need to work on. If it turns out great, than maybe the recipes I have been coming up with are to blame.

Thanks for all of the replies so far.

JG

Well what type of hoppy beers do you like, anything specific? Do you like hoppy beers generally, or do you prefer darker beers?

Maybe its your taste preference. Try a kit you have done and up the late hop additions and dry hop. That should get.you more flavor and aroma. Just a thought?

In short, I don't think there is any easy explanation for the problem. That is partly why I felt that I needed a tried and true recipe.

Problem is, I think the 2 you listed are tried and true. The Pliny clone has been brewed a lot. I got a 2nd in the first round of the nationals with it.

Seems like your process is good. Maybe I would suggest starting with a low hopped style, blond maybe, and then brew gradually hoppier styles (apa, ipa, iipa) and see where the problem starts to come in.

What are you using to adjust the distilled water? I'd go with AJ's water primer suggestions in the Brew Science thread and use just some Calcium Chloride at first. Often tossing in the other minerals can lead to harshness and you generally don't need all that. I had a few beers with harsh hops that I detected and since I stopped using Epsom Salts, Baking Soda and the other minerals that has gone away. I only use Gypsum & or Calcium chloride at this point.

I just kicked the keg on EdWort's Stone IPA clone, and even though I wish I would have dry hopped for another week, I still thought it was better than Stone IPA.

I have Denny's Wry Smile in primary now, and if the gravity samples are any indication, it's gonna be magnificent!

I use my Detroit tap water run through a charcoal block filter (slowly!), with a tsp of gypsum for 5 gal. Makes a darn tasty brew.

Back